ASTRO: Arp 195

Old September 22nd 09, 08:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 195

This image was taken under poor conditions as I was imaging through haze
or light fog. This caused some very nasty halos around the brighter
stars. I reduced them somewhat. The haze reduced my ability to go
deep. But seeing was pretty good and that was needed for this one.

Arp 195 is in Arp's category "Galaxies (not classifiable as E or S):
Material ejected from nuclei. Also known as UGC 04653, it is a triple
galaxy system in which the northernmost has one heck of a tidal plume
though Arp seems to consider this as something the nucleus ejected from
his classification. To me it looks little different from the plume in
Arp 190 which he classed as a narrow filament. Why the difference
escapes me. In the case of both, the likely source galaxy is rather red
but the plume is either less red (Arp 190) or slightly blue in the case
of Arp 195. Arp makes the following note in his catalog: "absorption
edge on connection to nucleus". I still don't know what this refers to.
There does seem to be a dark absorption lane between the upper two
galaxies. This might be it. These galaxies are very distant, about 750
million light years. So getting much detail with my typical seeing
isn't easy. The middle galaxy hosted a super nova last year, SN 2008bv.
It blew early in 2008 and this image was taken nearly a year later in
the middle of January 2009 so I missed it. It had faded from view
months earlier. NED classes the southern galaxy as SBb, but the other
two are left unclassified.

This would be a good time to bring up Arp's idea of galaxies ejecting
objects. It would seem the classification of this object and others in
his "material ejected from Nuclei" class fit this idea. To him many, if
not all, quasars are relatively near by objects ejected from galaxies
rather than black holes at the core of very distant galaxies. To make
this idea work he has to explain red shift as something other than a
distance indicator. Something he's never really managed. Also we see
absorption lines in quasar spectra that come from the vast interstellar
media between us and the quasar. When the light passes through several
galaxy clusters at various distances we see these lines with the right
red shift to match that of those clusters indicating the object is
beyond these clusters and not nearby. Virtually no one accepts Arp's
idea about ejected quasars nor that the plumes seen in galaxies of this
class are due to ejected material. It is well agreed they are tidal
plumes just like others he does seem to recognize as falling into this
classification. Though he even describes these in terms that are rather
ambiguous like "diffuse counter tails", "narrow counter-tails" and
"narrow filaments". While others he fits into the ejected class by
calling what others would call narrow tidal features, "jets". One of
which likely doesn't even exist. You have to consider his
classification scheme in light of this ejecta belief. True galaxies do
eject matter. Black holes in the cores, when active, emit strong jets
of electrons and maybe other particles that radio telescopes see as huge
plumes. a very few of which are seen in visible light such as the black
hole generated jet in M87. Also massive star formation can create solar
winds of such intensity they can carry matter in the form of gas and
dust out of a galaxy. M82 would be an example of this. But massive
objects, that is very rare. A run-away star ejected when its companion
blows itself to bits in a super nova explosion may happen but these are
rare random events not capable of making a jet. Most of Arp's jets are
due to tidal interaction that can create "beads on a string" effects as
mentioned in a previous post. I'll have more of these in the future
when I get them processed. But in 1966 they did seem to be jets, at
least to Arp. Arp's catalog is fascinating but some of his ideas are
rather out there in left field, assuming space has a left field. Still
they force astronomers to better support the current models and that's
always a good thing.

While this area has been surveyed by the SDSS I couldn't find an SDSS
image of this one on the net.

The tiny reddish galaxy, OK they are all that color, just east of Arp
195 is 2MASX J08540227+3508470 at just over one billion light years, so
likely not related.

Continuing east about half way to the edge from Arp 195 is a larger
appearing galaxy. The halo around it is real, not haze. It is 2MASX
J08543214+3509203 at about 770 million light years.

NW of Arp 195 is a small galaxy of magnitude 21.1. It is SDSS
J085329.60+351242.4 and is nearly 4.5 billion light years away. It is
also listed as a radio source. I have little resolution on it but it
looks oddly shaped as if it could be two interacting galaxies. I
wouldn't normally suggest that but being a radio source means it has a
lot of activity going on, maybe just an energetic AGN at the core or
maybe a collision. I'm surprised I was able to get it through the
haze layer. Normally my background is about 300 ADU. For this image it
was 2900 thanks to the haze or light fog. I figured 20th magnitude
would be my limit.

Below and a bit west of the above galaxy are two more that don't appear
all that different on my image. The upper one is a bit redder and a bit
smaller and dimmer but not by much. Yet that slightly redder and dimmer
one is 2.2 billion light years away compared to only about a quarter
billion for the one below it. Obviously you can't expect galaxies to
all be average size and brightness.

Two asteroids were in the area when I took the image (165805) 2001 RB58
at magnitude 19 on the west side of my image and (115475) 2003 UV4 at
magnitude 18.6 on the east side.

I've been asked for more annotated images so I've made one for this
image. It just shows distance to the various galaxies and one quasar in
the image. I find it interesting that the most distant galaxy is
further away than the quasar. All labels are directly west (right) of
the galaxy or quasar they refer to. A few times there was a second
galaxy that forced me to lower the label a bit so not to overwrite this
other galaxy. That put the label below the unlabeled one. Oddly, when
this happened the second galaxy never had any red shift data, even if it
was brighter. This happened with quite a few pairs in the image, not
just those that got in the way of my labeling. In fact only one pair
had red shift data and they turned out to have almost exactly the same
redshift. Notice there's a group around 1.6 light years. NED lists a
possible galaxy cluster, NSC J085511+350146, with a photographic red
shift of about 1.9 billion light years in the lower left of my image.
The label goes through the center coordinates. I see nothing there.
South of it there are some faint galaxies, right in the SE corner of my
image. Looking at the SDSS data for the area I see no jump in the
galaxy count around the given coordinates either. But the label is there.

Arp's image with the 200" telescope:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp195.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP195L4X10RGB2X10X3r1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	2624  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP195L4X10RGB2X10X3r-ID.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2625
Old September 29th 09, 07:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

you posted some very interesting pictures while I was away in Namibia. Great
achievement to show these tiny galaxies so clearly.

Stefan

ster.com...