ASTRO: IC 2233 A very thin barred spiral

Old July 20th 09, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 2233 A very thin barred spiral

IC 2233 is an edge on galaxy in central Lynx. It is only about 32
million light years away so close compared to most galaxies I image. It
is classed as SBd meaning it is a barred spiral. I don't know how you
tell from such a near edge on perspective. It contains some
interesting, very blue star clusters. Though the entire galaxy is oddly
very blue.

While not an Arp galaxy it is rather weird in that some papers report a
molecular hydrogen band orbiting it at a 45 degree angle to its plane.
Also, just out of my image to the to the north north west is Arp 6. One
I imaged some time back. I could have put both in the frame if I'd have
realized it at the time. In any case Arp 6 is at
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=1769&stc=1
The faint galaxy below and left of Arp 6 is also in my attached image of
IC 2233. I need to go back and catch both in one image.

About 10 minutes east of the north end is the large elliptical galaxy
MCG +08-15-055. It marks the core of the galaxy cluster SDSS-C4-DR3
3529 at a distance of 560 million light years. NED lists it as having
19 members but no diameter so I can't tell which galaxies are members
and which aren't.

Oddly, while the image area is covered by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
only one galaxy in it has a red shift of over a billion light years. It
likely is more because few red shifts of this field were determined than
a lack of such galaxies. It is SDSS J081320.52+454534.5 a very red
elliptical looking galaxy of magnitude 19.3 and with a red shift that
puts it some 2.9 billion light years away. To find it locate the blue
star west (right) of IC 2233. Continue west an inch or two depending on
monitor size to a trio of reddish galaxies in a flat triangle, the
middle much bigger and brighter. It is the one that's 2.9 billion light
years away. No red shift is provided for its "companions". They are
listed at magnitudes 20.7 and 21.2 left to right to give you an
indication of the depth of the image.

In the 2x enlargement note two "stars" near core. Just to the right of
the upper one is another spot but fuzzier. This is another galaxy, SDSS
J081358.76+454441.8 at the about same red shift as IC 2233 but only 3"
across and 20.9 magnitude. Could it be in the process of being eaten by
IC 2233. Is it the cause of the star formation turning the whole
galaxy blue with "new" stars? I don't see such a small dwarf galaxy
doing this but what else could trigger such star formation? I've not
been able to find any answers to this or even anyone asking the question.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10 RGB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC2233L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	2519  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC2233L4X10RGB2X10X3r2xcrop.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2520