ASTRO: The radial spoke galaxy, Arp 213

Old June 19th 09, 05:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: The radial spoke galaxy, Arp 213

Arp 213/IC 356 is a heavily obscured galaxy seen through the dust of our
own galaxy. It is found in the constellation of Camelopardalis not far
from its far more famous neighbor IC 342.
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...ntid=273&stc=1
I do need to retake that one as I severely underexposed it 3 years ago.
Arp 213 is a couple degrees further north and thus in my Polaris tree.
I had to do some very fancy processing to return the stars to a round
shape. It took nearly a week of work and pondering the situation to
whip this one into submission. Probably the most difficult processing
I've succeeded in turning into a usable image. Pine needles make for
some very odd diffraction effects in the raw images. Blue frames were
deepest in the needles so there's some real issues with the blue data on
this one. Nothing I can do but cut down the tree which acts a snow
fence keeping a lot of snow from the observatory roof.

Arp 213 is classed by Arp as; "Galaxies (not classifiable as S(piral) or
E(lliptical): Irregularities, absorption and resolution. Often I don't
know what he is referring to but in this case it is obviously the odd
dark band that forms a radial spoke. "Faint straight absorption lanes
lead toward nucleus, become triple" (Arp). Near the core it splits in
three parts, one goes to the east of the core, one to the center and
another to the west side of the core. Is this a feature of the galaxy
or a dust lane in our own galaxy? I couldn't find a definite answer to
this. Red shift data puts it at about 40 million light years. The
spiral galaxy below it and a bit left is UGC 2955 and it too is about 40
million light years away. They likely are part of the same group but I
see no sign of interaction between them. So if the dark radial lane is
due to interaction with another galaxy, where is it?

The interesting looking galaxy east (left) of UGC 2955 is 2MFCG3399 but
there's no red shift data on it. It is classed as S0 rather than an
edge on spiral. It appears warped to me. The only other galaxy with
red shift data is the one east and a tad north of Arp 213. It is LEDA
166486 and is listed at about 220 million light years. It is classed as
either elliptical or undetermined by the sources I found.

Arp's image with the 200" scope:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp213.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP213IC356L4X10RGB2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	2475
Old June 19th 09, 09:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Rick Johnson wrote:
Is this a feature of the galaxy
or a dust lane in our own galaxy? I couldn't find a definite answer to
this.

Considering the galaxy is sitting right at the edge of a large
reflective nebula, I think the chances of the spoke being a nearby
absorbtion feature very likely. If it really is a feature of the galaxy
itself, it's an awfully weird one and would be quite difficult to explain.

Attached image is from POSSII red and blue. one degree square.

--
Adriano
http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

34°14'11.7"N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic0356-stretch.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	2476
Old June 20th 09, 06:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Adriano wrote:
Rick Johnson wrote:
Is this a feature of the galaxy or a dust lane in our own galaxy? I
couldn't find a definite answer to this.

Considering the galaxy is sitting right at the edge of a large
reflective nebula, I think the chances of the spoke being a nearby
absorbtion feature very likely. If it really is a feature of the galaxy
itself, it's an awfully weird one and would be quite difficult to explain.

Attached image is from POSSII red and blue. one degree square.

I always check the POSS plates but this time only looked at the auto
stretched GIF files which didn't really show the nebula. You really
have to stretch even the FITS to see it very well. So I missed this
aspect entirely. This also explains the "crap" in my blue image. It
wasn't a nasty gradient caused by those pine needles! ARGH! I took
most of it out. I need to go back and redo this from the start though
the thought of dealing with those horrid stars again is a nightmare.

I notice too that the edge of the nebula is right along the dark lane
and parallel to it. That's a interesting development. I've got a
houseful of grandkids until mid July so little time for research. I'll
have to get back on this after they go back to mom. Am getting very
little done. At least this is when there's only an hour or so of dark
sky up here so not missing much imaging even if it were clear instead of
heavy clouds!

Rick

Old June 20th 09, 01:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

great job to show the dust lane so detailed.
My version at http://www.slilge.de/GalaxienNordpol...x5u71x2gut.jpg
only shows it's existence, but no detail.

Stefan

ster.com...

Old June 20th 09, 05:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Looks to me like by holding back the core the detail is likely there in
the FITS. I'm surprised by how much of the outer part you were able to
get from your location.

Rick

Old June 22nd 09, 03:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

I like that one a lot Rick!

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
ster.com...
[...]

Drill chuck for Radial Arm Saw Mike in Arkansas Astronomy Misc 0 June 27th 06 09:36 AM
Drill chuck for Radial Arm Saw Jeff Johnson Astronomy Misc 0 June 27th 06 09:28 AM
Drill chuck for Radial Arm Saw Sean Monaghan Astronomy Misc 0 June 27th 06 06:18 AM
Thus spoke Zawahiri Tamas Feher Policy 1 November 2nd 04 08:54 AM
meteor in Casselberry.... it was something... we spoke to many residents this evening. Diane Misc 0 July 16th 04 05:47 AM