ASTRO: Arp 142 Porpoise or Penguin?

Old May 7th 09, 10:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 142 Porpoise or Penguin?

Arp 142 is two interacting galaxies in Hydra just west of its border
with Sextans and south of Leo. Arp classed it as: "Elliptical and
Elliptical-like Galaxies: Material emanating from Elliptical Galaxies".
I really don't see what Arp was talking about other than there is a
rather extended halo around the elliptical on the east to north side.
The elliptical is NGC 2937 while the irregular galaxy (might have been a
spiral before the encounter) is NGC 2936. They are located about 330
light years away so are both rather large galaxies. Irregular galaxies
are usually not very big. Often elliptical galaxies are very large but
they don't have to be. I've seen NGC 2936 called the Porpoise Galaxy by
those on the Galaxy Zoo forum. To me it looks more like a penguin with
a bright blue light in its mouth. To the upper right of it, hiding
behind a rather bright star is another galaxy that is very blue. I can
find virtually nothing on it other than a designation of "UGC 0530 notes
01" by NED. UGC 0530 is NGC 2936. Is it involved? Quite likely but I
can't find enough to determine this. To the lower left (SE) of NGC 2937
is a very small galaxy, SDSS J093747.25+024409.4, which has a redshift
distance of 347 million light years and thus likely part of the same
group but not necessarily involved in the interaction. There are many
distant galaxies in this image, most don't have red shift distances.
Also I found 7 quasars in this image. I've made an annotated image
showing the distances to both in billions of light years. Galaxies are
noted by a G before the distance. Quasars only by their distance. The
asteroid to the south west of Arp 142 is (90802) 1994 WY at magnitude 18.1.

An image of this guy by from the Sloan Deep Sky Survey with colors from
photometric filters rather than RGB filters so color is rather weird.
http://casjobs.sdss.org/ImgCutoutDR7...12&opt=&query=

Arp's image with the 200" scope taken on a very good night (far better
than mine) is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp142.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L-4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP142NGC2936-7L4X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	2443  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP142NGC2936-7L4X10RGB2X10X3r-ID.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	2444
Old May 8th 09, 12:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

I vote for Flipper, Rick!

that a cool target

ter.com...

Old May 9th 09, 08:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've since had the suggestion it is an "Arp" seal pup!

Dang, I should have thought of that.

Rick

Old May 9th 09, 10:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
ter.com...
I've since had the suggestion it is an "Arp" seal pup!

That's hilarious, Rick!

Old May 12th 09, 11:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

very good image of this pair. To me the blue galaxy a bit to the upper right
of the main objects looks a bit like a jet, maybe that's what Arp meant with
"emanating material".

Stefan

ter.com...

Old May 13th 09, 05:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Possible but it looks pretty much like a typical galaxy in Arp's photo.
My lousy seeing does give it more the look of something odd. The
bright star certainly doesn't help any to see what it is. It's on the
reshoot list when seeing is better.

That likely won't happen for a while.

Rick