ASTRO: Arp 107 A strange collision

Old April 30th 09, 06:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 107 A strange collision

Arp 107 is a pair of colliding galaxies also known as UGC 05984. Arp
classed them under "Elliptical or Elliptical like galaxy: Connected to a
spiral." That would certainly what you see in my image. I sometimes
wonder about his classifications but this one is quite accurate. He
described it saying "...double arm leads to E(astern) galaxy, diffuse
material out either side of E(lliptical) galaxy." Other than there
being some out the top of the elliptical as well (not seen well in his
too short exposure with the 200" telescope) his descriptions seems
fairly accurate.

This galaxy was the subject of a rather "famous" photo on the net taken
in infra red light by the orbiting Spitzer telescope. They used two
wavelengths, one that they colored blue shows old stars much better than
new ones and one taken in a wavelength that shows young hot stars much
more strongly than older cool ones. They colored these red. Here's the
image:
http://www.etsu.edu/physics/bsmith/a...107_press.html

Not being in orbit and not having a supply of liquid helium (needed for
earth based IR work as well as space based) I have to use visible light.
But as I've mentioned many times before, regions of young stars often
show up very blue while regions of old stars show up red. This isn't as
accurate method as Spitzer used but close. Compare the blue regions in
my photo to the red ones in Spitzer's and my yellowish red regions to
Spitzer's blue and you'll see they agree rather closely.

This pair is located about 463 million light years away in the
constellation of Leo Minor. Most folk realize there's a big and small
bear in the sky, many know of the big and small dogs but for some reason
I find few know of the small lion. Maybe its because the big one is
just Leo rather than Leo Major unlike the other two animals.

Most of the other galaxies of any size (and not red) in my image are at
about the same distance as Arp 107. Oddly, NED shows a distance to Arp
107 of the 463 million light years I mentioned but shows the individual
galaxies at about 480 million light years. I don't understand the
difference. It classes the obvious elliptical as just that, elliptical
and the spiral as an Sc spiral of the Seyfert 2 class meaning it has an
active nucleus. This is common in interacting galaxies as the
interaction throws material into the black hole at the galaxy's center
causing it to be quite active.

There are a couple exceptions. There's a quasar at 7.7 billion light
years and several galaxies ranging out to over 3 billion light years
that I could find red shift data on and likely some of the fainter ones
are even farther away. There is a Zwicky galaxy cluster with some 130
members centered just off the lower right corner but its 35 minutes
across so many of the galaxies in the lower left region are likely
members. NED gives no distance for this cluster though another with
only 22 members centered only about 3 minutes of arc away shows a
distance of 1.55 billion light years and must be part of the Zwicky cluster.

Some of the brighter reddened galaxies have red shift data. My second
image is annotated with these as well as the quasar.

Arp's image of this group is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...res/arp107.gif

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP107UGC5984L4X10RGB2X10r.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	2433  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP107UGC5984L4X10RGB2X10r-AN.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	2434
Old April 30th 09, 02:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

hey that looks like my bluetooth adaptor's ear-hook, Rick!

such a bunch of cool galaxies you shoot: I like those Arps....

ter.com...

Old April 30th 09, 04:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Nice image! Lots of detail there, your seeing must have been pretty good.

--
Adriano
http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

34°14'11.7"N
Old April 30th 09, 05:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Rick Johnson wrote:
Arp 107 is a pair of colliding galaxies also known as UGC 05984.

Rick

When I was thinking of buying this lot about 10 years ago the owner let
me set up my 10" to measure seeing. It was routinely 1.6 to 1.8".
Where I was on the lake (summer cabin on lot that couldn't be used for a
home due to zoning rules) seeing was 4". Turned out the higher above
the water the better the seeing. Down near it as I was it was horrible,
45 feet up where I tested seeing on this lot it was great. But in the
meantime the jet stream moved. It's now over me much of the time,
leaving for a day or two but the turbulence takes longer than that to
abate. So I've had 3" seeing on average. This year the jet has stayed
away a bit more allowing things to calm. I actually had a night two
nights ago (cut short by clouds of 1.6" But I only got 2 lum 10 minute
shots in and the clouds said "NO WAY". I'm hoping the seeing I saw 10
years ago is returning. Odd but the Clear Sky clock said seeing would
be poor that night. It was once the clouds cut me off. In Nebraska it
was always very accurate as to seeing, here it isn't. Local conditions
must have a big say that it doesn't know about.

Rick

Old April 30th 09, 05:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I was thinking shrimp. But I love shrimp and my wife is so allergic to
them I don't dare eat any. Just touching one then two days later
touching her can send her to the hospital and use up three epi pens just
getting her there. So I tend to see shrimp everywhere.

Rick

Old May 2nd 09, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

NGC 4618 is Arp 23, NGC 2625 while in the field didn't make the cut
though it too is one armed. While both Arp 23 and 107 are one armed
spirals only 23 is classed that way. Apparently being connected ranks
higher than being one armed. Though many of his galaxies could be put
in other classes he established. They are far from exclusive.

Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:
[...]

ASTRO: Arp 284 Galaxies in collision Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 2 September 17th 08 02:25 AM
ASTRO: Arp 284 Galaxies in collision Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 September 16th 08 10:24 PM
Collision. Jo Jo Astronomy Misc 1 March 26th 07 08:06 PM
Collision Course RAP Misc 6 February 16th 04 10:45 AM
Engine Collision?! Terrence Daniels Space Shuttle 3 August 10th 03 10:52 PM