Arp 98 another for Arp lovers only

Old April 8th 09, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Arp 98 another for Arp lovers only

Arp 98 is a pair of interacting galaxies. Arp classed them under
"Spiral galaxy with companion on arms: Elliptical galaxy companions."
The spiral is LEDA 5715 and is classed as Sbc with a red shift distance
of 547 million light years. One paper says "The 'bridge' has no
relation to the normal spiral arms which are bound more tightly." I
assume that refers to the bright tiny arms just visible in my shot.
Still the bridge does appear to come off of one same as the opposite
tidal arm comes off the other one. The elliptical galaxy is LEDA 5714
and is called a red, spherical compact galaxy with halo. It has a red
shift distance of 552 million light years. The difference is likely due
to gravitational interaction between the two.

At the far upper left is CGCG 502-109 at 547 million light years, same
as LEDA 5715 so a member of the group. It is classed simply as a spiral
galaxy. Directly west (right) of Arp 98 is 2MASXi J0131394+320601 ID
a galaxy bright in infra red light. Like all other galaxies in the
image I can find no data on it. Arp 98 is located in the constellation
of Triangulum just north of the far more famous Triangulum Galaxy, M33.
Arp's photo is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp98.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP98UGC01095L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	2381
Old April 13th 09, 09:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Love those Arp galaxies!

Rick Johnson wrote:
Arp 98 is a pair of interacting galaxies.Triangulum Galaxy, M33.
Arp's photo is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp98.jpeg

Rick

Adriano
http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

34°14'11.7"N
Old April 21st 09, 11:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

your choice of objects is refreshing, I like this one too.
I recently have been acitve in a german astro-site and see the same standard
objects being posted over and over. Good to come here and see your Arp
galaxies.

Stefan

ster.com...