Astro: Arp 35

Old March 29th 09, 09:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Arp 35

Arp 35 is considered a pair of interacting galaxies even though they are
widely separated. The two galaxies are LEDA 001434 in the center and
LEDA 001431 well below it. They are in the constellation of Pisces.
Both are about 210 million light years from us. The later seems mostly
unchanged by the encounter but 1434 certainly has been torn up by the
near collision. Arp has a class for integral sign galaxies, none of
which is THE integral sign galaxy oddly enough. To me 001434 should be
the "infinity sign galaxy". Arp however has it classed in the integral
sign class. He's including the long arms while my infinity sign idea
ignores them. Still I think it a better infinity sign than integral
sign. For the math challenged the integral sign looks like a ~ symbol
while the infinity sign is more an 8 sitting on its side. Like Arp 24
the companion isn't involved in his classification of the galaxy and
isn't mentioned that I find. Still most catalogs consider both to be
part of Arp 35.

Arp's photo of this galaxy system is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp35.jpeg

When I imaged it I also picked up three asteroids. Due to the timing I
caught them just at the end of their retrograde motion when they about
to return to direct or prograde motion. This means they were virtually
motionless in the sky. In fact one was so nearly motionless it is very
difficult to tell from a star. In preparing an annotated version of the
image I noted there were some quasars in the image as well. Since they
carry no ID other than catalog names that define their position either
using galactic or sidereal coordinates I'm not going to list them. On
the annotated image their distance in billions of light years is noted.
In looking these up I noted that the image also contained the most
distant galaxy I've ever imaged that I've been able to find with a
distance measurement. It too is labeled, with a G in front of the
distance to separate it from the quasars as it is farther than many
quasars I've imaged. That has to be one huge galaxy to be visible at
over 4 billion light years. All labels are to the right of the object
unless there's a pointer to the object. Note that distant quasars are
usually blue while distant galaxies are reddish in color. Color
fringing on the asteroids is due to their motion. Color frames don't
align on moving objects.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP35UGC212L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	2370  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP35UGC212L4X10RGB2X10X3ID.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	2371