ASTRO: M97 with Astronomik UHC and Skywatcher ED120

Old March 8th 09, 10:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: M97 with Astronomik UHC and Skywatcher ED120

I already have an Astronomik UHC filter in 1,25", but needed a larger
version for my new QHY8 camera (which currently is visiting London,
according to the DHL tracking), so I bought the 2" version to complete my
"one-shot-colour-narrow-band-equipment".

I recently imaged M97 with my Astronomik Halpha (14x10 minutes) and OIII
(6x10 minutes) filters, see
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/M97colourgut.jpg

Now I wanted to test how good the ED120 would perform if it had to focus
Halpha and OIII at the same time (9x10 minutes through the UHC filter):
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/M97UHC-9x10.jpg

The new picture has much better contrast (conditions were much better also)
and nice sharp stars, both images have no sharpening.

Combining the UHC images as luminance with the old image as RGB gives this
result:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/M97colourneugut.jpg

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Skywatcher ED120 at f/7.5 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 14x10 minutes Halpha, 6x10 minutes OIII and 9x10
minutes UHC.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M97colourneugut.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	2351
Old March 9th 09, 05:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
[...]

That scope makes some great tight star images. It looks a winner!

Rick