ASTRO Sharpless 112 from last summer

Old January 30th 09, 09:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO Sharpless 112 from last summer

Sharpless 112 (SH2-112) is a molecular cloud that is forming a star
cluster. This nebula is located in the constellation of Cygnus the Swan
not far from Deneb and the North American Nebula. Though it is not
related to either. It is about twice as far away as they are at about
5600 light years. The molecular cloud is lit up by the illuminating
star BD+45 3216. It is the brightest star you see in the nebula and is
near the dark lane toward the center. It is a very blue star, classed
as O8, it emits most of its light in the ultra violet part of the
spectrum. Such stars live only about 3 million years before going boom
as a super nova. It was formed out of the cloud then escaped it. Now
situated in front of the part we see, its ultraviolet light causes the
hydrogen gas in the cloud to glow its characteristic color. It even
causes some oxygen to glow giving a slight blue cast to the part of the
nebula nearest the star where the ultraviolet light is strongest. The
dark lanes are where the cloud is too dense to glow and is where many of
the stars are forming. They are hidden behind all the dust in the
cloud. I couldn't find any Chandra or other IR. images of this object
however. The fewer stars except to the lower left shows there's a lot
of background stars obscured by unlit parts of the cloud. Only those
parts facing us that are close enough to it for sufficient ultra violet
light to hit it is visible, the rest is dark and seen only because it
blocks background stars. I used 2.5 times my normal exposure time on
this nebula. I've reproduced it at 1.5" per pixel. Yes I took this
last summer. It spent the last half of the year lost and forgotten on
the hard drive. I just recently stumbled across it. I've got to keep
better records!

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=10x10' RGB=3x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-112L10X10-612LR3RGB2X10X3-67.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	2312
Old January 31st 09, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Nice picture Rick.
I have a Halpha-only version, but it looks nicer in colour.

Stefan

ster.com...