ASTRO: NGC 6842

Old November 14th 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 6842

NGC 6842 is a planetary nebula in Vulpecula. It is also known as PK
65+0.1 and SH2-95 as well as other designations. I first saw it when
looking at the star cluster NGC 6834 which I haven't yet imaged. It was
at the very edge of the low power field of view. It was barely visible
so I wasn't sure if it was real or not at first but moving the scope to
center it showed it was real. A OIII filter helped quite a bit. All I
saw though was a faint round ball a bit under a minute of arc in size.
I made no note of the central star but it would be hidden by the OIII
filter. Looking around the net I found only a couple images of it in
color, both underexposed showing little color in it. Yet it came out a
vivid blue with a hint of red in my shot which agrees with the greatly
enhanced view through the OIII filter. The image size is small due to
operator error. I had used half frame when centering it to speed the
process but forgot to go back to full frame when taking the data. Since
I went to bed right after starting the data collection, it wasn't until
morning that I realized my error. Soon though it became evident that
the file size of the full frame would have been well over one megabyte
making it too large for distribution anyway. Still I'd have liked to
have all the data. Even full frame NGC 6834 would have been out of the
frame. I'll have to wait for next year to do that cluster. If you
think this star field is rich, the one the cluster is in is far denser.
Image scale is 1" per pixel

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version