ASTRO: Aurora

Old July 12th 08, 09:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jim wilson

Default ASTRO: Aurora

About to go to bed-looked outside-not going to bed. Actually managed a 2
frame stitch. I know a long time exposure can make these lights ultra
bright but this is darn close to what they were-for about 5 minutes.
jim
Calgary

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aurora1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	2033
Old July 12th 08, 04:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Beta Persei

Great! And really impressive, Jim.
Clear skies,
--------
Beta Persei
45° 35' N
08° 51' E

remove "_nospam" to reply

Old July 12th 08, 05:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Geoff[_4_]

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:59:10 GMT, "jim wilson" wrote:

About to go to bed-looked outside-not going to bed. Actually managed a 2
frame stitch. I know a long time exposure can make these lights ultra
bright but this is darn close to what they were-for about 5 minutes.
jim
Calgary

Very nice! I miss nights in Wisc. and catching an aurora. I watched one
back in '72 or '73 that lasted for hours with reds and greens. This really
captures the extent and majesty of them.
Old July 12th 08, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Cool!

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
Old July 12th 08, 07:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

jim wilson wrote:
About to go to bed-looked outside-not going to bed. Actually managed a 2
frame stitch. I know a long time exposure can make these lights ultra
bright but this is darn close to what they were-for about 5 minutes.
jim
Calgary

Great catch.

I take it this was the night of July 12th UT. I have nothing but trees
to the north and only one north facing window due to the garage being in
the way. I was trying to image last night but never looked that
direction. Sun has been so inactive I never expected any aurora,
especially this time of the year.

Rick

Old July 14th 08, 09:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Wow, that's cool...
Somehow I have always missed the northern lights when they could be seen
here in Germany...

Stefan

Old July 15th 08, 05:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
ergonaut

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in
:

Wow, that's cool...
Somehow I have always missed the northern lights when they could be
seen here in Germany...

Stefan

"jim wilson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
About to go to bed-looked outside-not going to bed. Actually managed
a 2 frame stitch. I know a long time exposure can make these lights
ultra bright but this is darn close to what they were-for about 5
minutes. jim
Calgary

I am in Calgary and look out my bedroom window (North) every night to see
if the lights are on. When was this?
Old July 16th 08, 06:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jim wilson

"ergonaut" wrote in message
5.159...
"Stefan Lilge" wrote in
:

Wow, that's cool...
Somehow I have always missed the northern lights when they could be
seen here in Germany...

Stefan

"jim wilson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
About to go to bed-looked outside-not going to bed. Actually managed
a 2 frame stitch. I know a long time exposure can make these lights
ultra bright but this is darn close to what they were-for about 5
minutes. jim
Calgary
I am in Calgary and look out my bedroom window (North) every night to
see

if the lights are on. When was this?

Saturday Morning around 2AM Jul 12 Don't know how long they were visible
before I happened to see them but they faded to a grey glow like a low cloud
fairly quickly-no colour to the eye just the camera unlike the pic I posted
What part of Calgary are you looking from? I am in Bowness and was on the
side of a hill. Thunder happening now (11:55) got to go see if there is
lightning for a.b.p.weather. Woo, yes there is!
jim

Old July 16th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
ergonaut

"jim wilson" wrote in

"ergonaut" wrote in message
5.159...
"Stefan Lilge" wrote in
:

[...]

I live in the top end of Tuscany with a beautiful unobstructed view of
the northern horizon and a nice dark backyard -perfect for viewing with
my Odyssey 13.1" Dob. Not that there is too much to see in that
direction...