Arp 205 / NGC 3448 and UGC 6016

Old June 21st 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Arp 205 / NGC 3448 and UGC 6016

Continuing with my Arp Galaxy series here is Arp 205. I ran Arp 206
last update. Both are classed under "Material Ejected From Nucleus".
It is also known as NGC 3448 with the nearby, very faint spiral
cataloged as "companion" by Arp and UGC 6013 by everyone else. I assume
the "Material Ejected From Nucleus" is the large bright lump somewhat
disconnected from the galaxy at the upper left rather than the tidal
arms. Radial velocity puts NGC 3448 at 68 million light years and UGC
6016 at 74 million light years. These distances are likely somewhat
wrong as the redshift of both has been altered by their passage by each
other.

Above and a slight bit right of NGC 3448 is the galaxy cluster ZwCl
1051.4+5440. It is a galaxy cluster much like Abell 1758 in last weeks
update. It too has two major elliptical galaxies but only one, the one
on the left, has attracted a following. The one on the right has only
one obvious nearby companion. At the very lower left corner a few
outlying members of another cluster ZwCl 1053.4+5427 are seen. The
former is about 2.1 billion light years away light travel time while the
latter has yet to have its distance measured that I can find. Just not
enough grad students to do the work it would seem. The entire field is
full of faint, very distant galaxies most of which have not been
measured for their distance.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3448ARP205L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	1972
Old June 22nd 08, 05:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Nice work Rick! very strange looking

Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]

N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old June 23rd 08, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great picture Rick. NGC 3448 was on my list this year, but after doing a
test shot I decided to move on to something a bit larger. Is this picture
without binning?

Stefan

om...

Old June 24th 08, 06:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It's my standard 2x2 binning. I'd never get that deep in only 40
minutes otherwise. Oops see I forgot to include that info. I'm running
on empty here. Severe storms took down lots of trees so spend a good 8
hours a day cleaning up. I'll have several winter's worth of wood when
done but for now its a big mess and I'm not functioning on all
cylinders. At least we are lucky compared to those a couple miles from
here. Even their foundations were carried into the lake by an F3
twister that lifted up the concrete pads they were built on and dumped
house and foundation into the lake. No one hurt but they lost
everything. We only lost several dozen 100 foot trees. Still it took
three days to cut a road so we could get out to get more chain saw gas.
Many more days of cutting and splitting ahead. Sure wish I was 50
years younger again!

No damage to the observatory in case you were wondering. All damage was
limited to downed trees along the road out and the back part of our
property where my black powder shooting range is (was). It's still
there once we dig it out.

Rick