ASTRO: M53 back after a near death experience

Old May 20th 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default ASTRO: M53 back after a near death experience

I'd thought I'd imaged M53 but never could find the data. I even
planned on taking it a couple months ago but clouds rolled in before I
could start the run. Still cleaning the hard drive I found a directory
named "Cant_Process". It was full of random frames ruined by something
that I'd saved for no good reason; out of focus, 10 seconds rather than
10 minutes, wife lit fireplace sending sparks through the frame, etc. I
was about to kill the whole directory when I noticed at the end were an
entire series of frames taken on one night. Curious I opened one and
found it an excellent globular. Which one? Header shows the
coordinates fortunately. Turned out the series was the "missing" M53
frames from 2007! They came within a second or two of a delete key
death. Needless to say they were moved to a more appropriate location
on the hard drive.

Color was limited to one frame each for RGB but with a star cluster that
isn't as serious a problem as with extended objects. Still I wish I had
gotten more color. It may still be lurking in some other directory I
haven't explored or maybe one I've already deleted.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=12x5' RGB=1x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M53LUM12X5RGB1X10X3.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	1927
Old May 20th 08, 11:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Very Nice Rick!

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old May 23rd 08, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

It looks like it is alive and well!

Joe

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

----

ASTRO: the Lagoon is back - M8_5May2008.jpg (0/1) Robert Price[_2_] Astro Pictures 5 May 13th 08 04:26 PM
ASTRO: the Lagoon is back - M8_5May2008.jpg (1/1) Robert Price[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 May 8th 08 01:47 PM
Dr. Death Is Back! Double-A[_1_] Misc 1 June 2nd 07 08:26 PM
ASTRO: Back on the newsgroup Doug W. Astro Pictures 9 December 24th 06 12:27 AM
DEATH DOES NOT EXIST -- Coal Mine Resuce -- Proof of Life After Death Fleetie UK Astronomy 2 July 3rd 03 12:09 PM