ASTRO: NGC 3486, Barred Spiral Galaxy in Leo Minor

Old May 3rd 08, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 3486, Barred Spiral Galaxy in Leo Minor

Even with a long exposure I should have gotten more! This was a 20:10:10:15
minute exposure using an STL-1301E CCD camera thru a 20-inch F/8 RC Cass. It
may be time to "cook" the desiccant in this camera!

For more info on NGC 3486 see:
http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n3486.htm

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n3486.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	1892
Old May 3rd 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:
Even with a long exposure I should have gotten more! This was a 20:10:10:15
minute exposure using an STL-1301E CCD camera thru a 20-inch F/8 RC Cass. It
may be time to "cook" the desiccant in this camera!

For more info on NGC 3486 see:
http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n3486.htm

George N

That's pretty good for only 20 minutes. I used an hour a year ago and
didn't get much more with less resolution. I've wanted to redo it with
more time and get some color but I need a lot of clear sky time and that
hasn't happened this year. It was nice and clear all day but is now
clouding up and is supposed to get bad by evening. Obviously I did
something to anger the cloud gods.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3486_12X5-3.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	1893

Old May 4th 08, 06:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

It's a nice view George... difficult to get enough signal on this one. My
image has 150 min. and it is still noisy.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 4th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Cool image Rick! You got that strange little galaxy that was just outside
of my field. Someday I'll have to try an hour of luminance exposure.

Speaking of 'cool'...... my Obsession 20 is sitting in my front yard right
now and it's getting cool enough that I'm going to be back in the winter
gear for visual observing tonight. The forecast is for more of the same
tomorrow night, the big Dob will stay out there one more night. Hopefully
I'll get a chance to test out all of the bino-viewer gear I bought last
weekend at NEAF.

George N

Old May 4th 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Doug W." wrote
It's a nice view George... difficult to get enough signal on this one. My
image has 150 min. and it is still noisy.

This galaxy really has a low surface brightness. I'm doing two nights of
visual observing with my Obsession 20 and I'll have to see what it looks
like from almost-dark sky.

George N

Old May 6th 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

George, that's one of the best pictures of this galaxy I have seen. I tried
it two times and never managed to get good signal or detail. This is a faint
one.

Stefan