ASTRO: M102

Old April 28th 08, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: M102

I have some older stuff, but this set seemed to be the easiest to process
simply because M102 is so bright.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/6.4 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 12x5 minutes for L, 5 minutes each for RGB.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/M102colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M102colourgut.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1884
Old April 28th 08, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

That's a nice picture of this tiny galaxy Stefan,
Is this from older stuff or is it with the new ARC?
--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old April 28th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Thanks Dirk.
This is with the ARC/ACF scope.
I have attached a picture with my old 8" LX200 (which I still have) for
comparison. It is deeper (with more than twice the exposure time), but even
smaller...

Stefan

"DvandenH" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
bel.net...
That's a nice picture of this tiny galaxy Stefan,
Is this from older stuff or is it with the new ARC?
--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
I have some older stuff, but this set seemed to be the easiest to process
simply because M102 is so bright.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/6.4 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 12x5 minutes for L, 5 minutes each for RGB.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/M102colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m102-26x5cropgut.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1885

Old April 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

I have some older stuff, but this set seemed to be the easiest to process
simply because M102 is so bright.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/6.4 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 12x5 minutes for L, 5 minutes each for RGB.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/M102colourgut.jpg

Stefan

See the 10 is back up and running. Comparing this to a shot of yours
with the 8" (black and white) I archived, it appears seeing was better
for the 8" shot (stars are tighter) but there's more detail in the
galaxy in this shot. I'm surprised you can get such good color in only
5 minutes through your light pollution. I have one heck of a problem
color balancing shots through moonlight with a lot more color data.

Rick

Old April 29th 08, 04:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Hi Stefan, I think your stars are tighter with the 10". Your M012 is a very
natural looking image.

Joe

Old April 29th 08, 09:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

to put things into perspective I have attached the stacked raw images from
the ACF and LX200 scopes, both set to the same brightness levels and the ACF
picture scaled down to the size of the LX200 picture.
The ACF (to the right) has much better contrast in the dark lane, which I
have already noticed with other objects. Of course the LX200 image was
compromised by bad tracking....

The short colour exposures were possible because M102 is such a bright
object. I imaged it when I only had about an hour till dawn, so I had to
keep everything short. When I finished the last exposure (took RGB in the
middle of two L series) the sky was already obviously brighter in the east.
Also I find that upgrading to AstroArt 4 makes my colour processing much
easier, I now get the same result with a few mouseclicks that I got after a
lot of tweaking in AstroArt3.

Stefan

Old April 29th 08, 09:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Oops, forgot the comparison shot:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M102compARC-LX200.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1886
Old April 30th 08, 06:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Oops, forgot the comparison shot:

Guiding was a lot better on the 10" shot. The added light grasp will
make everything easier than the 8 even when seeing doesn't cooperate.

Can you see any difference in the flatter and less coma field of the new
scope? Your CCD may not be large enough for that.

Rick

Old April 30th 08, 06:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Wow... nice one Stefan... scope makes nice stars!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com