ASTRO: NGC 2024, the Flame Nebula in Orion

Old April 13th 08, 05:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 2024, the Flame Nebula in Orion

I took this about a week ago. The image has a number of artifacts, including
a reflection from 2nd magnitude Alnitak, the eastern star in Orion's belt,
which is just outside the image. When I tried to reduce the impact I lost
part of the nebula. Also my 50mm focal reducer lens was not designed to work
with the OGS 20-inch. However working at around F/5 this image is 20x23 arc
minutes. The exposure was 10:5:10:10 minutes exposure in red, green, blue,
and luminance.

George Normandin

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n2024.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1851
Old April 13th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's really nice George

you did a nice job on that across the board in my opinion

rdc

Old April 13th 08, 11:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very nice picture George. Actually the Flame would not be the same without
the artifacts of Alnitak, I think most pictures have them.

Stefan

Old April 13th 08, 03:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:
I took this about a week ago. The image has a number of artifacts, including
a reflection from 2nd magnitude Alnitak, the eastern star in Orion's belt,
which is just outside the image. When I tried to reduce the impact I lost
part of the nebula. Also my 50mm focal reducer lens was not designed to work
with the OGS 20-inch. However working at around F/5 this image is 20x23 arc
minutes. The exposure was 10:5:10:10 minutes exposure in red, green, blue,
and luminance.

George Normandin

I had so many donuts from Alnitak that you could hardly see the nebula
when I tried it. Seemed to reflect back and forth between the Halpha
filter and something. It was a mess. I wanted to try again this year
with it on the eastern side of the meridian hoping that might help. But
the weather had other ideas.

Rick

Old April 13th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

great shot George! I never had much luck with this one...

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
Old April 14th 08, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
Very nice picture George. Actually the Flame would not be the same without
the artifacts of Alnitak, I think most pictures have them.

Stefan,

The artifact shows much less in the red exposure (since Alnitak is so
blue?). I went so long in red with the idea of using it for the Lum, but
alas, the Lum shows much more of the nebula. I had thought of rotating the
camera and taking a second series that I could combine with the first using
a sigma-reject. That might remove the artifact. However the temp was well
below freezing and my brain froze before I got the second set of
exposures......

One item of luck I did have: one of the stars is listed as the same red
and blue magnitudes in the USNO 2 catalog, and thus must be a G-2 star. I
was able to use it to calibrate the color for this image and perhaps others.

George N

Old April 14th 08, 04:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"John N. Gretchen III" wrote
great shot George!........

John, et al: