ASTRO: LEO I reprocessed

Old April 3rd 08, 08:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default ASTRO: LEO I reprocessed

Probably my worst color processed image was that of Leo I. It had
severe red and green gradients. My handling of them knocked out red and
green leaving a super blue image. Very wrong for the galaxy. Using
what I've learned this winter removing lunar gradients I went back and
reprocessed the image. The gradients were caused when a cap came off of
an unused port on my system. I didn't know it as I rarely go near the
observatory. This put gradients in many images before I realized what
was going on but this was by far the worst. In the position to image
Leo I the red LED on my RoboFocuser shined directly into that port as
did the four dimmer green LEDs on the USB hub. I've now covered them as
well as a green LED on a power strip. But why would RoboFocus put such
a bright LED on their unit they know will be used in an observatory? I
can forgive the other two (far dimmer LEDs) manufacturers as theirs
aren't necessarily observatory products. But makers of observatory
electronics love to do this too. I don't understand why. Maybe they
get a cut from black electrical tape maker that I used to cover them.

I've posted two versions. With and without the asteroids, carbon stars
and quasars identified. There are many more carbon stars in this dwarf
galaxy, I've only identified a few. ALADIN has several dozen in its
data base. Oddly the reddest star (lower left of the galaxy) isn't in
the data base. I can only assume it is a very red star in our galaxy.

If I ever get clear skies and good seeing (this was one of the best
nights of seeing I've had) I'll try again as it should be a lot better
without the gradients. Though getting the asteroids to cooperate may be
a problem.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=7x5', RG=3x5', B=2x5' (one blue frame ruined by a
super bright satellite), STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEO_I_LUM7X5RG3X5B2X5R6-8.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	1822  Click image for larger version

Name:	LEO_I_LUM7X5RG3X5B2X5R6-ID.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	1823
Old April 4th 08, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

It looks like a "super globular cluster"!
......... But makers of observatory
electronics love to do this too. I don't understand why. Maybe they
get a cut from black electrical tape maker that I used to cover them.

The bright leds are to help with making dome flats!

Now that you bring this up, I guess it's time for me to go on another
"little electrical tape squares attack" on all of the leds in our
observatory! Most of the old ones have fallen off.

One of my other equipment peeves is the cabling that comes with mounts,
CCDs, etc, that are nice and pliable at room temp but turn into little iron
bars in the temps that we northerners have to live with. Oh, ya, and then
there are all those little assembly fasteners that we are suppose to use
at -30 C with gloves on while working outside in the dark in a snow covered
driveway!

You made my day Rick! I'm off to write nasty e-mails to all the astro gear
makers........

George N

Old April 4th 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

It looks like a "super globular cluster"!

A rather flattened one with little condensation toward the middle.

Now that you bring this up, I guess it's time for me to go on another
"little electrical tape squares attack" on all of the leds in our
observatory! Most of the old ones have fallen off.

I didn't give them a chance to fall off. I wrapped several layers of
tape completely around the offending units containing the LEDs. Used
half a roll of tape but they won't be falling off any time soon. It
doesn't get hot enought here for them to turn to a sticky mess come summer.

One of my other equipment peeves is the cabling that comes with mounts,
CCDs, etc, that are nice and pliable at room temp but turn into little iron
bars in the temps that we northerners have to live with. Oh, ya, and then
there are all those little assembly fasteners that we are suppose to use
at -30 C with gloves on while working outside in the dark in a snow covered
driveway!

I replaced the power cables with more subtle ones. Though since they go
through the axes I don't normally have to deal with them. I went
through the first winter with the original "hard" ones and never had a
problem with the tight loops they make around the polar axis as they
move to go down the declination axis. I replaced them mainly because
they were so hard I was afraid they'd break rather than bend and short
out. While the fuse should blow, why test it.

Rick

Old April 6th 08, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Very nice Rick!

Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]

N5JNG NCS304