ASTRO: M51 at f/10

Old March 29th 08, 12:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: M51 at f/10

I had a mostly clear night on March 23, but with a bright, almost full moon
I did not want to do any "serious" imaging and decided to try my 10" Meade
ACF (formerly known as ARC ;-) scope without a focal reducer. Even on a
bright target like M51 I did not get good signal in three hours. Actually
the image does not have better detail than my best shot with an 8" SCT at
f/6.3, but I still consider this image to be a success for the ACF scope as
I needed several tries with the 8" to get what I got with the 10" on the
first try.

This is also the first time I have used the mirror lock and guided with a
seperate guidescope. This was only half of a success as I had a shift of
about 2 pixels between frames, which led to some elongation of stars in RA.

I resized the image to 78% to make it look sharper and get rid of some
noise.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/10 on a G11 mount,
SXV-H9 camera, 35x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/M51F10-35x5smallgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M51F10-35x5smallgut.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1812
Old March 29th 08, 01:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

That is a good shot Stefan! nice.
Cann't wait for the 10" RCX400 imaging this one...(with the f/8 system..).

reg
Dirk

Old March 29th 08, 09:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

[...]

You do need a lot more light at f/10 than f/5. Sometimes the mirror
lock arrives with unmeshed gears. That happened to me. I turned and
turnd the knob but nothing happened. When it is working it eventually
gets tight and a slip clutch releases sounding much like the one on a
car gasoline filler cap (at least one over here). If you aren't getting
that the mirror may not be locked. At least that's how mine works.

Image looks good in spite of the problem.

Rick

Rick

Old March 30th 08, 07:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Great job Stefan!

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
Old March 31st 08, 03:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

........... Even on a bright target like M51 I did not get good signal in
three hours......

Looks good to me Stefan! I wish I could get seeing like that, but not here
under the jet stream nearly all of the time.

George N

Old April 5th 08, 12:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Thanks George. Actually you got similar detail in your recent M51 shot
(which I just saw at "spacebanter.com", didn't make my newsserver) in just a
few minutes.

Stefan

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Old April 6th 08, 06:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Hey Stefan.. Nice job at the long FL... Hope you get us some more close
views!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 6th 08, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
Thanks George. Actually you got similar detail in your recent M51 shot
(which I just saw at "spacebanter.com", didn't make my newsserver) in just
a few minutes.

Stefan,

With our poor seeing the only advantage we have from a 20 is the reduced
exposure time. However, the seeing was not too good even for our standards
the night I did M-51.

George N