Astro: M103 with more red

Old March 21st 08, 09:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default Astro: M103 with more red

I reprocessed this as in killing the moonlight I also killed a lot of
the red and part of the green channel. Think this is a bit closer to
what it would be without the #$%$ moon in the sky.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M103LUM6X5RGB2X5R-67.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	1793

Old March 22nd 08, 04:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

My ability to handle moonlight in color images is limited. How Stefan
handles Berlin's sky just amazes me. I wish I had his abilities. I'm
learning slowly.

Rick

Old March 22nd 08, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Great image Rick!

Rick Johnson wrote:
I reprocessed this as in killing the moonlight I also killed a lot of
the red and part of the green channel. Think this is a bit closer to
what it would be without the #$%$ moon in the sky.

Rick

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old March 22nd 08, 08:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
My ability to handle moonlight in color images is limited. How Stefan
handles Berlin's sky just amazes me. I wish I had his abilities. I'm
learning slowly.

the single thing that made the largest difference for me in handling
gradients (and that is the issue basically) is using Russ Croman's Gradient
Exterminator plugin for Photoshop.

it works just great once you get the hang of its care and feeding :-)

Old March 23rd 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

My ability to handle moonlight in color images is limited. How Stefan
handles Berlin's sky just amazes me. I wish I had his abilities. I'm
learning slowly.

the single thing that made the largest difference for me in handling
gradients (and that is the issue basically) is using Russ Croman's Gradient
Exterminator plugin for Photoshop.

it works just great once you get the hang of its care and feeding :-)

I've got a ton of software I'm still trying to get the hang of.

Main problem I have with the moon light is odd bands of light, sometimes
only 50 pixels wide, other times 400 that run across the image. Not the
normal type that runs from one edge or corner across the image at some
angle. These are usually arcs, sometimes with kinks.

Must be due to internal reflections. I see the in the eyepiece so they
are in the scope not the camera -- even with the diagonal coupled as
close as possible to the back of the scope. Something shiny in there
must be the culprit.

I deal with them by removing the stars then using the now starless field
as a pseudo flat. I put the stars back then difference the pseudo flat.
Usually about 70% or so. But this can screw up the color of the stars
in the band so isn't the best solution. The band(s) move with time as
the moon moves in relation to the stars so that plays havoc with color
balance as well.

Rick

Rick