astro: ic2574

Old February 27th 08, 01:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Default astro: ic2574

21x5 minutes
Intes MK-69 (6" f/6 Mak-Cass 900mm fl)
Celestron Advanced Series GT
Sbig ST2000XCM

this is dimmer that I suspected...

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic2574.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	1718
Old February 27th 08, 08:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

John N. Gretchen III wrote:

21x5 minutes
Intes MK-69 (6" f/6 Mak-Cass 900mm fl)
Celestron Advanced Series GT
Sbig ST2000XCM

this is dimmer that I suspected...

Now when I say something is very faint you know I'm not kidding! g
Maybe I should have said very very faint.

Takes a lot of work to dig this guy out of the noise. One place the 14
inches really helps. Binning 2x2 and 3x3 also help but its a difficult one.

Normally in a 3" image I have a pretty good view of my target when
framing it. For some reason my computer clock has decided to suddenly
change time (jumps ahead) by about 1 minute 30 seconds without warning.
That is enough to miss an object if I don't catch the error. So when
nothing came up in the 3 second shot that looked like a galaxy I reset
the clock only to find it didn't change. I broke the link to the scope
and remade it then slewed again to it. Same result. Finally in
desperation I tried 15" and there was the brighter parts of it and a
hint of the rest. Really surprised me. I thought those star forming
regions would be nice and bright but nope, they are faint too.

You need really good flats and darks to dig this one out of the noise.

Most of the shots I found on the net of this guy taken by amateurs
rather than Hubble look a lot like your shot or show even less detail.

Rick

Old February 27th 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that's a faint one John!

Old February 29th 08, 07:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very nice picture John. Seeing Rick's image I thought it might be a good
target but it might be difficult under city skies. It looks extremely faint
in the POSS2 images too.
You confirmed the blue colour of the bright knots btw.

Stefan