ASTRO: M45 with DSLR - M45_3x10min_50p_30Oct2006.jpg (1/1)

Old January 12th 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M45 with DSLR - M45_3x10min_50p_30Oct2006.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M45_3x10min_50p_30Oct2006.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	476.3 KB
ID:	1588
Old January 12th 08, 10:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Ralph Hertle

Default ASTRO: M45 with DSLR - M45_3x10min_50p_30Oct2006.jpg (1/1)[MONITORS]

Robert Price wrote:

Nice picture. The image quality holds up nicely during zoom in.

I displayed that with the Irfanview V4.0 freeware displayer, and at full
screen, the image displays beautifully at 1728X1152p resolution, That's
approximately, a 22" diag. image on a Samsung 24" flat panel LC D
monitor. The square pixel size is .25mm.

The Irfanview image sharpen command makes as many as 50 percent more
stars visible on the screen than prior and number and fine-ness of the
stars and the blue filaments is increased. However, I find that once
sharpened the image quality lessens during zoom in. On a higher
resolution monitor, e.g., the displayed 4000p SGI flat screen CRTs of
several years ago, many of those small stars would be visible, and
sharpening would be unnecessary.

Your image probably has far more information in it that is sharper and
finer than can be finely displayed on just about any LCD monitor.

Using Irfanview, which is a fine all around professional image display
software, I set the background color to a dark green, rather than black,
and that is a nice way to offset the edges of the images.

My 21" Matsu****a CRTs have .23mm round tri-dot patterned shadow masks,
and the horizontal and vertical pattern that is on the LCD screens is
not visible on the CRTs. The Matsu****a CRT monitor has far better
contrast gradations of color, however, as time goes by the blacks are
not as deep. The Matsu****a CRTs still have more degrees and
adjustability of contrast than the Samsung LCD monitor, even though the
Samsung claims to have a displayable 1:1000 contrast ratio. The Samsung
is not that great for seeing data in the black low contrast image
regions. The first three contrast steps are all black. Samsumg has LCDs
with a 1:3000 contrast ratio, however, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Samsung tells me that the video card software upgrade is necessary, and
that a bios adjustment is needed to get rid of a slight contrast moire
pattern effect. That means everything goes to the computer technician.

For digital astronomy image viewing what is the best monitor, video
card, and viewing software available?

Thanks for the neat picture.

Ralph Hertle
Old January 13th 08, 10:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

That looks really nice.

Stefan

Old January 13th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Ralph Hertle" wrote
Your image probably has far more information in it that is sharper and
finer than can be finely displayed on just about any LCD monitor.
For digital astronomy image viewing what is the best monitor, video card,
and viewing software available?

Ralph,

There is no monitor that comes close to showing all of the brightness
range in digital images, especially the 16-bit astro cameras. The same is
true of any printing technique. With resolution I think you can get the
"full deal". Much of the "art" of astro image processing is selecting the
way to stretch the brightness range to show what the imager wants to get
across to the viewer. It will take quite a leap in technology for displays
to match the data.

There have been discussions on the Yahoo SBIG group about what monitor is
"best". In my case it's the one that's attached to my laptop PC, so I did
not bother to follow the discussion. Also, we have to CRT's in the
Observatory since the LCD's can't live with our cold conditions.

George N

Old January 14th 08, 05:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Humor[_2_]

awesome. what great work!

Robert Price wrote:

[Image]