ASTRO: M33 widefield b/w

Old December 26th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: M33 widefield b/w

from last night (dec 24) at the ranch under a very full moon

33 x 5 minutes, 6303, 400mm f/4 lens (pentax 6x7 takumar)

I didn't have flats so I used my 300mm f/4 flats in lieu of proper flats

once I get the proper flats made I will process as color data.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m33_p400_6303_optecrgb_33x5min_xga.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	1558
Old December 26th 07, 05:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

from last night (dec 24) at the ranch under a very full moon

33 x 5 minutes, 6303, 400mm f/4 lens (pentax 6x7 takumar)

I didn't have flats so I used my 300mm f/4 flats in lieu of proper flats

once I get the proper flats made I will process as color data.

Looking good so far.

I have trouble with moonlight in winter. Snow and a huge sheet of many
square miles of white ice all around me reflects the light back up into
the sky where back scatter from the ever present ice really lights
things up far worse than in summer. In summer a full moon 90 degrees
away gives me a 10 minute background count of about 1200 but in winter
that rises to 30,000 when the ice is around, which is most any night.
Even a moonless night gives up to an 8000 count compared to about 250 in
summer. Ice in the air without snow only gives about 1200 showing it is
mostly a back scatter problem.

Rick

Old December 26th 07, 06:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Nice view of that big galaxy floating in space... We have snow so it's like
daytime out there now with the moon near full.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
t...

Old December 26th 07, 01:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
john

Nice fov, great shot...

Richard Crisp wrote:
from last night (dec 24) at the ranch under a very full moon

33 x 5 minutes, 6303, 400mm f/4 lens (pentax 6x7 takumar)

I didn't have flats so I used my 300mm f/4 flats in lieu of proper flats

once I get the proper flats made I will process as color data.

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
Old December 26th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

[...]

one of my friends in Michigan told me about the snow and moonlight problem.
It sounds really bad

he said the moon is so bright on the snow that he cannot even see Saturn
naked eye

that's different that where I am in Calif: if the frost persists after
sunrise it is remarkable.

Rick

Old December 26th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Doug W." wrote in message
. ..
Nice view of that big galaxy floating in space... We have snow so it's
like daytime out there now with the moon near full.

that sounds like the story from a friend in michigan. when the moon is out
with the snow on the ground he said he cannot even see saturn naked eye

so different than it is in calif where the frost hardly persists after
sunrise