ASTRO: SH2-188

Old December 25th 07, 09:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: SH2-188

This is a very weird planetary nebula. The central star is well down
and to the left of the center of the loop, much like Comet Holmes
nucleus appears closer to the the bow shock than the center of its coma.
In the case of Holmes, the solar wind is pushing the front of the coma
back toward the much denser nucleus. In the case of SH2-188 the
planetary is flying through the interstellar medium at a high rate and
its leading edge is forming a bow shock, and thus is far brighter than
it would otherwise be and far closer to the "central star". Or so the
model says. It is the tiny blue star a bit to the left and up a tad
from the prominent yellow star near the inside edge of the brightest
part of the arc.

I took this through the heavy ice layer we have hanging in the air now.
The result was all sorts of nasty gradients. I'm not good at removing
them so they are still there. I need to get Russ Croman's GradientX
removal tool. I did it the hard way with pseudo flats in Photoshop. It
only sort of worked. I might as well be imaging from Manhattan Island
for all the crap the ice crystals put in my shots. It was -32C when I
took this shot! I imaged at -34C one night last year so this isn't a
record but darned close.

I used H-alpha frames as the Lum image, I used a combination of the same
H-alpha frames and 2 red frames for the red frame and normal green and
blue though added a bit of H-alpha to the blue in an effort to help the
stars. Seemed to make them too blue however but the stars look better
against the nebula than when I leave that step out.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=2x30' H-alpha, R=L+2x10' red, GB= 2x10' RGB were
binned 3x3 H-alpha binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-188HA2X30RED2X10AVRGB2X10R2-67.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	1551
Old December 26th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
john

Haven't seen this one before. Nice work

Rick Johnson wrote:
This is a very weird planetary nebula. The central star is well down

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old December 26th 07, 08:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Good image in those conditions... we have the ice too... up high I think.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old December 26th 07, 06:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

now I *really* like that image Rick

the lower left looks interesting too.

i need clear skies and good seeing for the 18"!

Old December 26th 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

now I *really* like that image Rick

the lower left looks interesting too.

i need clear skies and good seeing for the 18"!

Those are ghosts of just out of frame stars.

I should have mentioned that. There are two bright stars off the edge,
one yellow and one blue. Blue really does odd things with the ice in
the air. Normally a blue star that far off the edge wouldn't show but
it sure did with the ice. Then there was a faint red glow from it too,
It was very faint but slightly larger giving that red edge. I probably
should have cloned them out.

Rick

Old December 26th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

now I *really* like that image Rick

the lower left looks interesting too.

i need clear skies and good seeing for the 18"!

Those are ghosts of just out of frame stars.

I should have mentioned that. There are two bright stars off the edge,
one yellow and one blue. Blue really does odd things with the ice in the
air. Normally a blue star that far off the edge wouldn't show but it sure
did with the ice. Then there was a faint red glow from it too, It was
very faint but slightly larger giving that red edge. I probably should
have cloned them out.

thanks for clarifying that. the fact that I saw a wisp of blue made it very
interesting if real. But alas it was an artifact. ...
darn