ASTRO: Myster object Monday night.

Old December 11th 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Myster object Monday night.

It went threw Cass. was very bright & fast to start off when it was below
double cluster it was not naked eye no more. I have reports in UK have also
seen it!..
7pm or 1900 EST of USA.

Either a sat dumping fuel or rogue small comet falling apart...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknownobjwctdec10th07.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	1527
Old December 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

ops for got this...
Pic from my buddy, Joplin Motisher. Who also saw the same thing.

Composite of images taken with Canon 20D 10 sec. exposure 200mm canon
lens over a period of 2 minutes, 22 sec.

Old December 11th 07, 02:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article , "G"
wrote:

It went threw Cass. was very bright & fast to start off when it was below
double cluster it was not naked eye no more. I have reports in UK have also
seen it!..
7pm or 1900 EST of USA.

Either a sat dumping fuel or rogue small comet falling apart...

A couple of days ago someone mentioned planning to observe an upcoming
fuel release; I think it was in saa. IIRC the event was expected to be
visible from points east of the Mississippi. But I can't seem to find
the posting in Google ...

--
Odysseus
Old December 11th 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Odysseus" wrote in message
news
In article , "G"
wrote:

It went threw Cass. was very bright & fast to start off when it was
below
double cluster it was not naked eye no more. I have reports in UK have
also
seen it!..
7pm or 1900 EST of USA.

Either a sat dumping fuel or rogue small comet falling apart...

A couple of days ago someone mentioned planning to observe an upcoming
fuel release; I think it was in saa. IIRC the event was expected to be
visible from points east of the Mississippi. But I can't seem to find
the posting in Google ...

--
Odysseus

Right. That may have been the NROL-24 Centaur propellant dump. At least,
that was what was suggested on another newsgroup.

George

Old December 12th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Nunya Bizness" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote in message
news
In article , "G"
wrote:

It went threw Cass. was very bright & fast to start off when it was
below
double cluster it was not naked eye no more. I have reports in UK have
also
seen it!..
7pm or 1900 EST of USA.

Either a sat dumping fuel or rogue small comet falling apart...
A couple of days ago someone mentioned planning to observe an upcoming
fuel release; I think it was in saa. IIRC the event was expected to be
visible from points east of the Mississippi. But I can't seem to find
the posting in Google ...

--
Odysseus

Right. That may have been the NROL-24 Centaur propellant dump. At
least, that was what was suggested on another newsgroup.

George

I am so glad someone posted this. I work at a municipal planetarium and
got what I thought was a crackpot call from someone claiming to have seen
a comet. He said that it must have been close because it moved about 60
degrees in an hour. We get all kinds of calls making all kinds of claims
so I was ready to just blow this one off.

I did a Google search for NROL-24 Centaur and there was the information I
needed to give to this gentleman.

I need to read the newsgroups more often!

Thanks, everyone!

--JC Craig

De nada.

George

Old December 13th 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Nunya Bizness wrote in news:475ff44c$0$2334
:

I did a Google search for NROL-24 Centaur and there was the information
I needed to give to this gentleman.

I need to read the newsgroups more often!

Might I also suggest you read sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,
where there was a post on the 9th predicting the visibility of
this rocket's propellant dump.

Also, check out the SeeSat-L mailing list,

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/seesatindex.html

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old December 15th 07, 07:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Thy Bone

Nunya Bizness wrote:

George wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote in message
news
In article , "G"
wrote:

[...]

Well, NunyaBusiness, its none of my business but .... there
are fewer crank calls than you might think. I will leave logic
to fill in the rest. Have a nice day.

Old December 15th 07, 10:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thy Bone wrote:

Nunya Bizness wrote:

George wrote:

"Odysseus" wrote in message
news
In article , "G"
wrote:

[...]

You've obviously not worked at a public planetarium! Since he did
continue to try and find the answer and now has and will tell the fellow
what he saw I'd say he took the guy seriously even though it appeared to
be a crank call. That's not easy after all the abuse and lunacy you get
from the public. He didn't say a lot of calls were from cranks, only
that you get all kinds and boy do you.

Rick

Old December 25th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Nunya Bizness wrote:

Thanks, Rick. Since I started in the planetarium field (20 years ago
next Sunday), I've seen that while most people are fairly smart but
somewhat misinformed, there are a lot of crackpots and loons out there.

If I took every call or visit we get at the museum at face value, here's
what I'd think:

Every rock is a meteorite.
Every flake of rock is a valuable Indian artifact.
Every hunk of metal is a civil war artifact.
Every fragment of bone is from a human.
Every spider is a brown recluse.
Every snake is a copperhead.
Every light in the night sky is a flying saucer.

So, yes, most of the calls we get are serious inquiries about the
natural world. But when someone calls and says, "I saw a comet last
night and it was moving across the sky very quickly so it must have been
close," I might take it with a grain of salt because it matches no
description of a comet I've ever seen. And, as it turns out, it wasn't
a comet but, rather, a phenomenon that this former west coast boy had
never seen. I learned something and was able to share that with the
gentleman who'd called.

Incidentally, he really appreciated that I'd called him back and was
able to tell him what he'd seen.

If I made a mistake in that, I'd sure like someone to tell me what it was.

JC Craig

After 27 years of dealing with the public as supervisor of a public
observatory and helping a planetarium director for far longer I know
what you are experiencing. Crackpots, while few in number scream their
lunacy far and wide appearing far more numerous than they really are.
Most folks suffer from science illiteracy due to our education system.
They are easy targets for crackpots and their ideas. I'm sure we could
trade horror stories and success stories for hours on end!

Myth is simple, Science is tough. Thus, myth is the far easier to
remember and comprehend by the unfortunately science illiterate
majority. It will always be an uphill battle those few fighting it.

I'm retired now. You are doing a good job in the front lines. Thanks,
we need all the help we can get.

Rick

Old December 26th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
Rick Johnson wrote:

snip

After 27 years of dealing with the public as supervisor of a public
observatory and helping a planetarium director for far longer I know
what you are experiencing. Crackpots, while few in number scream their
lunacy far and wide appearing far more numerous than they really are.

About 25 years ago I had a summer job in the NRC's analytical chemistry
lab. I was mostly preoccupied with the task I'd been assigned (using an
x-ray fluorescence spectrometer to assay & characterize the sulphur &
iron content of about a zillion coal samples), so I have no idea how
many requests for analyses were received from the general public during
the time I was there. But I sure heard about -- and remembered -- the
alchemist who claimed he was being lied to concerning the gold content
of a sample he'd brought in ...

--
Odysseus