ASTRO: M31 the big - M31_20min_DSLR.jpg (1/1)

Old December 6th 07, 04:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M31 the big - M31_20min_DSLR.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M31_20min_DSLR.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	711.3 KB
ID:	1519
Old December 6th 07, 07:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M31 ; Got a few questions.

Pic included.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M31_20min_DSLR.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	1521
Old December 6th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

G wrote:
Pic included.

Your scale is way off. The galaxy is about 150,000 light years across.
A typical planetary is about 1 light year across though some can get
up to 3 or so. You'd need an image 150,000 pixels across to bring that
up to where it would be one pixel in size! Open clusters can get 100
light years across if loose. On his scale that is less than 1 pixel!
Think entire galaxy here. They are huge compared to clusters and
planetaries and contain many thousand of both. Imagine that image with
thousands of ovals the size you drew!

What you have circled at the lower left is NGC 206 a region of mostly
massive, young blue stars. A star cloud in other words.

He did pick up one cluster, C-179, a very large one still embedded in
it's hydrogen cloud so it looks like an orange star on the edge of a
dark lane up and to the right (1:30 on a clock) from NGC 206 on the
right edge of a dark dust lane. I've attached an extreme close-up of it
below. Also a shot of NGC 206. The cluster is at the upper left of
that shot. The scales of these two shots are about 24 and 12 light
years per pixel so that cluster is extremely large compared to most
known in our galaxy yet is only a "star" when you shoot the entire galaxy.

The region you call a possible planetary contains many clusters, C-406
being the biggest and providing the most light. Others in the circle
are C-296, C-298, and C-300.

To identify more see:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level..._contents.html
Click on Index 1 or 2. One for open clusters, dark nebula and such, 2
for globular clusters. Richard Crisp pointed me to this link.

M110 is an elliptical galaxy without spiral arms but it does have some
dust clouds. They are what you are seeing. I've attached a close up of
that, also at 24 light years per pixel. Note the globulars are very
starlike. You need a good map to separate globular from star even at
this much greater scale. They are certainly far far larger than any
planetary and at least as large as the largest open cluster in our galaxy.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	206-6x5LRb.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	1523  Click image for larger version

Name:	m110_6x5_GlobularID.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1524
Attached Images
File Type: gif 206-6X~1.GIF (12.3 KB, 96 views)

Old December 7th 07, 07:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Joe1orbit

awesome - no other word for it your superb!! work.

Robert Price wrote:

[Image]

Old January 30th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
n2nurbs

Thanks for these beautiful interstellar space photos. I've taken the
liberty of making this rich image my desktop "background".