Astro - Comet Holmes - USM.jpg (1/1)

Old November 20th 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kaptain Klevtsov

Default Astro - Comet Holmes - USM.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USM.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1473
Old November 20th 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Looks like a jellyfish, good detail.

Stefan

Old November 20th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Best shot of the multi tails I have seen.

They are only hinted at in my shot. I toyed with unsharp masking but
didn't push it like you did. Looks like I should have! I'll find the
time to go back and see what that does for me. Though the bow shock is
well out of my frame. I do need to get something with a shorter focal
length!

Rick

Old November 21st 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Kaptain Klevtsov" wrote

Now that really shows the inner coma detail!!

George N

Old November 21st 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

They are only hinted at in my shot. I toyed with unsharp masking but
didn't push it like you did. Looks like I should have! I'll find the time
to go back and see what that does for me. Though the bow shock is well
out of my frame. I do need to get something with a shorter focal length!

Rick,

I bet that the same detail is in your data just waiting to be teased out!

Do you have a focal reducer? Or you could always go the mosaic route.
I've been toying with the idea of buying or building an 8-inch F/4 Newt with
coma reducer as a 'wide-field' imager and Milky Way scanner for visual use.
Vixen and Parks both sell 8" F/4's and Royce sells a cone-shaped primary.

George N

Old November 21st 07, 08:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

They are only hinted at in my shot. I toyed with unsharp masking but
didn't push it like you did. Looks like I should have! I'll find the time
to go back and see what that does for me. Though the bow shock is well
out of my frame. I do need to get something with a shorter focal length!

Rick,

I bet that the same detail is in your data just waiting to be teased out!

Do you have a focal reducer? Or you could always go the mosaic route.
I've been toying with the idea of buying or building an 8-inch F/4 Newt with
coma reducer as a 'wide-field' imager and Milky Way scanner for visual use.
Vixen and Parks both sell 8" F/4's and Royce sells a cone-shaped primary.

George N

Reducer doesn't help. I'm already using the full field of the LX200R.
It is 1.75" across at the field stop which is about 8" in front of the
focal point so I'm getting a bit of vignetting on the corners now though
it flat fields out. My off axis guider comes in at the short side and
the on camera guiding chip is on the other short side. So I can't
really use a compressor. I bought one and quickly found out it was
useless. I may use it visually to save expensive eyepieces for low power.

A mosaic of a comet would be interesting as the overlapping stars
wouldn't match due to motion of the comet between the views. I'd need 4
for this guy. The overlap would look really odd I'm afraid.

If I rebuild my 6" f/4 it would work. Right now the tube is old and
weak where the spider sits allowing flex that causes it to lose
collimation just by slewing 40 degrees. A new fiber glass tube and
better spider should do the trick if the coma reducer for the STL series
does its job. I've not seen or heard much about it. The other problem
is I love that scope visually and would hate to lose it. Held in your
lap while on my deck in a reclining swivel chair and you can quickly get
lost in the universe with that scope. Eventually I'll figure something
out. Any cheap FSQs out there? Nope, didn't think so.

Rick

Old November 22nd 07, 07:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
warner[_3_]

Kaptyan, Im going to post a reply in image of yours. Ive seen
a number of images like this to date. What intriques me is the
structural detail below the surface image. I have labeled voids
and layers. I have my own ideas but I will leave the physics to
others. Thanks.
Jerry

Kaptain Klevtsov wrote:

[Image]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USM voids.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1477
Old November 22nd 07, 04:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
If I rebuild my 6" f/4 it would work. Right now the tube is old and weak
where the spider sits allowing flex that causes it to lose collimation
just by slewing 40 degrees. A new fiber glass tube and better spider
should do the trick if the coma reducer for the STL series does its job.
I've not seen or heard much about it........

Rick,

I have two friends who bought an old Cave 6-inch F/4 Newt tube and
replaced the focuser with a Moonlight duel-speed unit. They use the Baader
coma corrector and it works great. However they are using relatively small
CCD chips compared to your STL-11k - an old Starlight Xpress MX-716 and
another camera (forget which one). I like the idea of trying a short focus 6
or 8 inch Newt F/4. Allen Chen has a home-made 12.5 inch F/4.5 with a FT
focuser in place of the secondary mirror. He uses a large chip and Baader
corrector with great success. Unfortunately I don't think the design would
scale down because the camera would take up too much of the field.

George N

Old November 22nd 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Mike Nelson

warner wrote:
Kaptyan, Im going to post a reply in image of yours. Ive seen
a number of images like this to date. What intriques me is the
structural detail below the surface image. I have labeled voids
and layers. I have my own ideas but I will leave the physics to
others. Thanks.
Jerry

The "voids" are merely artifacts of extreme
image processing. Note the "voids" around
the brighter background stars, as well.
Old November 23rd 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
warner[_4_]

Mike Nelson wrote:

warner wrote:
Kaptyan, Im going to post a reply in image of yours. Ive seen
a number of images like this to date. What intriques me is the
structural detail below the surface image. I have labeled voids
and layers. I have my own ideas but I will leave the physics to
others. Thanks.
Jerry

The "voids" are merely artifacts of extreme
image processing. Note the "voids" around
the brighter background stars, as well.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Jerry