17/P Holmes double halo!

Old November 3rd 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Gordan

Default 17/P Holmes double halo!

Digital processing revealed interesting double halo around my Holmes from
Nov 01.
Imaging data:
Site: Cakovec, Croatia
Date & time: November 1, 2007, 22:56 - 23:37 UT
Scope: Newtonian 8" F/5 prime focus + Baader MPCC on EQ6 Pro
Camera: Canon EOS 350D unmodded
Exposures: 3x30 sec @ ISO 800 + 4x30 sec @ ISO 1600 (all with Noise
Reduction On)
Processing: Stacked and levels in DSS, finishing in PS7, MaximDL and Neat
Image (demo version).
Best greetings from Cakovec, Croatia!
Gordan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17P_Holmes_800_ozn.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1418
Old November 3rd 07, 02:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Gordan wrote:

Digital processing revealed interesting double halo around my Holmes from
Nov 01.
Imaging data:
Site: Cakovec, Croatia
Date & time: November 1, 2007, 22:56 - 23:37 UT
Scope: Newtonian 8" F/5 prime focus + Baader MPCC on EQ6 Pro
Camera: Canon EOS 350D unmodded
Exposures: 3x30 sec @ ISO 800 + 4x30 sec @ ISO 1600 (all with Noise
Reduction On)
Processing: Stacked and levels in DSS, finishing in PS7, MaximDL and Neat
Image (demo version).
Best greetings from Cakovec, Croatia!
Gordan

I've had days of clouds here. I tried through them but didn't get much.
Can tell the inner bright halo is almost the size of my field of view
so that outer halo is well out of my field.

Spaceweather.com has a photo that now shows a gas tail! Though not your
outer halo.

"http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/holmes/02nov07/Sebastian-Voltmer2.jpg?PHPSESSID=gkjr2bm3jj5469j445q9cgdk97"

That's a long URL so you may have to copy and paste it together again.

Rick

Old November 3rd 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
"Gordan" wrote:

Digital processing revealed interesting double halo around my Holmes from
Nov 01.

A truly planetary nebula!

--
Odysseus
Old November 4th 07, 07:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
KLM[_33_]

Gordan wrote:

Digital processing revealed interesting double halo around my Holmes from
Nov 01.
Imaging data:
Site: Cakovec, Croatia
Date & time: November 1, 2007, 22:56 - 23:37 UT
Scope: Newtonian 8" F/5 prime focus + Baader MPCC on EQ6 Pro
Camera: Canon EOS 350D unmodded
Exposures: 3x30 sec @ ISO 800 + 4x30 sec @ ISO 1600 (all with Noise
Reduction On)
Processing: Stacked and levels in DSS, finishing in PS7, MaximDL and Neat
Image (demo version).
Best greetings from Cakovec, Croatia!
Gordan

[Image]

just wonderful. Are the colours structurally representative? For
some time we have seen the green (C2) or greenish yellow (C2_NH_Na) halo?
Some photos now show a red tinged
inner ring followed by a bluer inner coma. To somebody like
me this begs the quesation: are these photos showing structurally
real matter distrubution? Because if they are then the mechanism
for such a distrubution becomes the next issue -

I just had to ask given the superb photos emerging from
this group.

Ray

Old November 4th 07, 12:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Gordan

"KLM" wrote in message ...
Are the colours structurally representative? For
some time we have seen the green (C2) or greenish yellow (C2_NH_Na) halo?
Some photos now show a red tinged
inner ring followed by a bluer inner coma. To somebody like
me this begs the quesation: are these photos showing structurally
real matter distrubution? Because if they are then the mechanism
for such a distrubution becomes the next issue -

Ray, I made more images on the comet these days and each one shows the green
halo around and the reddish inner ring (inside the bluish coma), so I
believe that is related to the structure of the comet. I agree that the
matter should be explored as the next issue. The outer gray-reddish halo may
be the result of the dew on primary mirror during imaging (there was some at
the end of the imaging sequence).
Greetings,
Gordan