Hillary Clinton Declares War on Space Exploration

Old November 2nd 07, 04:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mark R. Whittington

Default Hillary Clinton Declares War on Space Exploration

Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._on_space.html

Old November 2nd 07, 04:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Mark R. Whittington wrote:
Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._on_space.html

Reading what she actually says she wants, it seems very good to me:

quote
in a telephone interview afterward, she said that in the short term she
would subordinate Bush administration proposals for human exploration of
the Moon and Mars to restoring cuts in aeronautics research and
space-based studies of climate change and other earth science issues.

"Travel to the Moon or Mars 'excites people,' she said, 'but I am more
focused on nearer-term goals I think are achievable.'"
end quote

This emphasizes more science goals, rather than... well I do
not know what the current plan emphasizes, at least it is surely
neither knowledge nor science.
Old November 2nd 07, 06:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article .com,
"Mark R. Whittington" wrote:

Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...declares_war_o
n_space.html

Wow -- you've got a serious axe to grind. She's planning an ambitious
space exploration program, reversing funding cuts to NASA's R&D budget,
and funding NASA's Earth Sciences program, and this is "declaring war on
space exploration," is it?

Out of curiosity, what would you call it if she proposed to actually
*reduce* NASA's budget?

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via: http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/
Old November 2nd 07, 06:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
American

On Nov 2, 11:12 am, "Mark R. Whittington"
wrote:
Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._clinton_decla...

Since no one seems to be talking much at the present time
about "righteous women" in the government, except possibly
by the personification of Condoleezza Rice as Secretary
of State, which WAS itself at the time of her appointment,
the "politically correct" thing for George W. Bush to do,
and now becomes the "Hillary Rodham" thing to do, seems
to be based upon masking something much more sinister.

None of these people to me represent anyone yet "worthy"
enough to represent a hard-core "replacement technology"
in the field of energy technology, and you can bet for sure,
that space exploration IS FULLY CAPABLE OF
EXPLOITING THAT TECHNOLOGY TO THE FULLEST.
Isn't that where our prejudices truly lie as a spacefaring
nation?

I believe that these two women would rather see us as a
third world police state than a third world promise market.
Any further streamlining of our energy policies at home
and abroad with the invalidation of any promise market of
replacement technology, will render the future energy
economy inert.

American

Old November 2nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

jacob navia wrote:
:
:Reading what she actually says she wants, it seems very good to me:
:

If what you want is a retrenchment of the space program to toasters in
Earth Orbit to study our own navel, Hillary is your girl.

If you want to actually go somewhere away from Earth, she's very bad
news.

If you want to do anything at all with people, she's very, very bad
news.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old November 2nd 07, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Joe Strout wrote:

:In article .com,
: "Mark R. Whittington" wrote:
:
[...]

As I read it, she *is* proposing to actually reduce NASA's budget.
She's just calling that reduction 'more balance'.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old November 2nd 07, 08:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

Mark R. Whittington wrote:

Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

Space exploration and space commerce are not the same thing.

You're a crackpot libertarian, do your own damn space commerce.

The rest of us happen to have a planet we feel we need to take care of.
Old November 2nd 07, 09:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Nov 2, 2:09 pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Joe Strout wrote:

:In article .com,
: "Mark R. Whittington" wrote:
:
[...]

And balance can't mean between manned and unmanned space exploration?

Old November 3rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:12:54 -0700, "Mark R. Whittington"
wrote:

Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._on_space.html

Well, it didn't take a press release to figure this one out, or
Nostradamus to see it coming...

Under H. Clinton, Orion would be limited to ISS support only. Possible
scrapping of Ares entirely in favor of EELV launch. The 2015 ISS
withdrawal date will be rescinded, but she won't offer much to
improve/expand ISS for the outyears, either. We'd never see Ares V get
started in her administration. NASA budget will be flatline, at best,
but very likely cut every year except election years, just as her
husband did.

Then again, Dubya hasn't done much more than this, either. He's
officially for exploration but has done almost nothing to support that
goal (and has chastised/threatened veto of Congress for trying to fund
the program he initiated.)

Honestly, this entire crop of candidates, Dem and Rep, is so
completely unimpressive, I still have no clear idea who I will vote
for.

Brian
Old November 3rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
American

wrote:
[...]

ONE DAY after Golda Meir signed the Israeli declaration of
independence
on May 14, 1948, Israel was attacked by joint forces from Egypt,
Syria,
Lebanon, Transjordan, and Iraq.

How long will it be after Bush's peace pact is forced on Israel, who,
after
relinquishing the West Bank to Palestinian control, when it is
finally
decided that the terms of this peace is actually an act of war
against Christianity?

Answer: Go ask the energy whoremongers

-