ASTRO: Comet Holmes -- even more amazing than Sherlock

Old October 28th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Comet Holmes -- even more amazing than Sherlock

I came back early to image this guy. It was getting dark as I got in.
I about fell off my chair when the first frame came in.

This comet is leaving its outburst behind!

That bright "star" is the nucleus of the comet and not a star at all.
While the odds that this is due to an impact with something in the
asteroid belt is "astronomical" it is sure starting to look like a
possibility. But getting hit twice in a bit over 100 years? I don't
like those odds. Still...

It has faded a lot in maximum intensity. I used 10 second frames here
and didn't come close to saturating. The night I left I was saturating
at just over one half second at this 2x2 binning scale. 1.003" per pixel.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=10x10", RGB=5x10" all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P17HOLMES10-28-07-01.0UTLUM10X10RGB5X10SEC2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1379
Old October 28th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

Wow, that really has moved away from the 'puff'. I guess over the next
couple of weeks, we'll all have to watch the comet and the puff, and see
what their orbits are. If the orbit has changed, maybe it DID get hit.

Eric.

Rick Johnson wrote:
I came back early to image this guy. It was getting dark as I got in.
I about fell off my chair when the first frame came in.

This comet is leaving its outburst behind!

That bright "star" is the nucleus of the comet and not a star at all.
While the odds that this is due to an impact with something in the
asteroid belt is "astronomical" it is sure starting to look like a
possibility. But getting hit twice in a bit over 100 years? I don't
like those odds. Still...

It has faded a lot in maximum intensity. I used 10 second frames here
and didn't come close to saturating. The night I left I was
saturating at just over one half second at this 2x2 binning scale.
1.003" per pixel.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=10x10", RGB=5x10" all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari
Old October 28th 07, 10:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image. The off-center nucleus (or inner part of the coma) surely makes
the object even more interesting.

Stefan