ASTRO: IMPORTANT UPDATE ON COMET

Old October 27th 07, 05:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: IMPORTANT UPDATE ON COMET

I discovered a flaw in my processing flow for the Polarization Difference
Image of the Comet 17 / P Holmes

I have since corrected and have extraordinary results to share. *I am
serious, you must have another look*.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/com...tokes_page.htm

in particular scroll down the page and look at the image that differences
the output of the 90 and 0 degree analyzers:

direct link:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ima...90-0_crisp.jpg

the structure revealed using this technique is truly remarkable.

I wish I had more than 3366mm focal length available with clear skies right
now (and good seeing too)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comet_17_p_holmes_PDI_crisp_200710250500z.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1370  Click image for larger version

Name:	comet_17_p_holmes_90-0_crisp.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1371
Old October 27th 07, 07:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
et...
I discovered a flaw in my processing flow for the Polarization Difference
Image of the Comet 17 / P Holmes

I have since corrected and have extraordinary results to share. *I am
serious, you must have another look*.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/com...tokes_page.htm

in particular scroll down the page and look at the image that differences
the output of the 90 and 0 degree analyzers:

direct link:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ima...90-0_crisp.jpg

the structure revealed using this technique is truly remarkable.

I wish I had more than 3366mm focal length available with clear skies
right
now (and good seeing too)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdi_comet_17_p_holmes.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1372
Old October 27th 07, 08:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

What's the 'RG Processing' ? I haven't heard of that before. Some kind
of wavelet transform ?

Eric.

Old October 27th 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Eric" wrote in message
What's the 'RG Processing' ? I haven't heard of that before. Some kind of
wavelet transform ?

I don't know. if you figure it out let me know, please!

rdc

Eric.

Old October 27th 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

interesting structure! but what does it mean? what can we learn from these
false colour images?

solid cloudcover for days here.....

--
Martijn
www.xs4all.nl/~martlian

Old October 27th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kev[_2_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
et...
I discovered a flaw in my processing flow for the Polarization Difference
Image of the Comet 17 / P Holmes

I have since corrected and have extraordinary results to share. *I am
serious, you must have another look*.

Most interesting - you passed em on to TA yet?

Sure Guy would publish them in a circular

Kev

Old October 27th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
et...
I discovered a flaw in my processing flow for the Polarization Difference
Image of the Comet 17 / P Holmes

I have since corrected and have extraordinary results to share. *I am
serious, you must have another look*.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/com...tokes_page.htm

in particular scroll down the page and look at the image that differences
the output of the 90 and 0 degree analyzers:

direct link:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ima...90-0_crisp.jpg

the structure revealed using this technique is truly remarkable.

I wish I had more than 3366mm focal length available with clear skies
right now (and good seeing too)

Very interesting results, Richard, particularly the image with 90 degree
rotation. In it, I see three central points that make a kind of triangular
arrangement with what appear to be jets emanating from them. Are those
locations of jetting out of the core, or has this object actually
fragmented, and we are seeing three cores in that image? I don't
understand the method you are using and what it is supposed to show, which
is why I ask these questions. I hope they don't appear to be stupid ones.
At any rate, Great work. I assume you are going to publish your results.

George

Old October 28th 07, 10:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Amazing images Richard. This technique really brings out detail that is not
visible in "normal" shots.
Have you tried something like a Larson-Sekanina filter on your "white light"
images? Would be interesting to see if it is possible to get similar detail
that way.

Stefan

Old October 28th 07, 06:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

Stefan,

Here's L-S processed of my white light image. Rotation is +/- 5 degrees.
Much better than what I had before.

Eric.

Stefan Lilge wrote:
Amazing images Richard. This technique really brings out detail that
is not visible in "normal" shots.
Have you tried something like a Larson-Sekanina filter on your "white
light" images? Would be interesting to see if it is possible to get
similar detail that way.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17P_LS.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1382
Old October 28th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Looks like a spider :-) I'm just playing with my own images as it has
cleared up over here...

Stefan