ASTRO: CAS A added a lot more time. Right photo this time

Old August 20th 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: CAS A added a lot more time. Right photo this time

I was in too much of a hurry and grabbed the wrong photo. I wondered
why it sent to fast. Trying again.

Getting a few frames here and there I managed to up the time
considerably. I went to binning color 3x3 to get more even color in
only 50 minutes. With something this faint not much gets through the
filters. I pitched the ones used before, they were more noise than
signal. I'm probably done with it for this year. I'm satisfied with
how it finally turned out. There is a hint of hydrogen in the
background, to the upper left.

We leave on a 10 day trip Tuesday. I'll catch up on the posts when I
get back.

14" LX200R @ F/10, L=14x10' binned 2x2, RGB=5x10' binned 3x3,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAS_A_LUM-ADD14X10RGB5X10.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	1117
Old August 20th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great result Rick. I wonder why this object is not more often imaged. It
probably is quite faint, but it is interesting enough to draw more attention
than it actually does.

Stefan

Old August 20th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Think of all the photons going to waste with no one capturing any!
Sorry I do need that vacation.

My guess is the same as for Hoag's object, though that has a few amateur
images on the net, I found none using Google for Cas A. Anyway, it is
primarily a X-ray, radio and infra red object rather than a visual one.
So the mind set is that it isn't a visual object. It wasn't until
the 50's that the visual object was found and that took the 200" to do
it after radio scopes finally told it where to look. I still remember
that! That's why I wanted to image it too.

I could only find one observatory shot of it (other than Hubble of
course). That along with it in the other three bands is at:
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/0237/

It does show on the DSS plates but is quite faint.

It is one of Chandra's showpiece objects.

Rick