ASTRO: M27...again

Old July 16th 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Default ASTRO: M27...again

I didn't see my first post so here it is again. Here is my first light deep
sky image with my new (for me) Canon XTi. I hope to get it modified fairly
soon. This image was through my C-11 @ f/6. 2 x 30sec @ 1600asa + 2 x
30sec @ 800asa.

Sorry for the repeat post.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m27.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1033
Old July 16th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

J McBride wrote:
I didn't see my first post so here it is again. Here is my first light deep
sky image with my new (for me) Canon XTi. I hope to get it modified fairly
soon. This image was through my C-11 @ f/6. 2 x 30sec @ 1600asa + 2 x
30sec @ 800asa.

Sorry for the repeat post.

Joe

You're first try did come through here and I replied, so did another
fellow asking about an asteroid like trail in the "lower left corner"
but I can't see what he's looking at. Only an NEO would trail enough to
easily see in 2 minutes at that scale and I see no trail anyway.

Oddly that thread ended up attached to another thread on M27 as if you
answered your own comment to that person's M27 post, so was weeks out of
sync even though it is supposed to list them in date order. The replies
then went there as well. Weird. If I sorted by thread then resorted by
date all was correctly listed but each time I open the email program it
resorts it back where it don't belong. First time I've seen that bug
and I've used this program without update for many years now. Weird.
This repost went where it belonged.

Anyway here's what I said.
Looks a lot like the visual view without filters in my 10" if you ignore the red parts. It will be interesting to see what the difference is after modification.

Rick

Old July 17th 07, 08:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Here is the trail. Between 11:45pm on the 14th to 1am on the 15th. Anybody
know of anything flying by m27?

Joe

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

J McBride wrote:
[...]

Name:	m27-1024-huh.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1034
Old July 17th 07, 08:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Well I just checked the originals and it flies right across the whole frame.
I'll try and process to show it.

Old July 17th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

In 30 second frames, it has to be space junk to move the entire field.
It just tumbled in a brighter way at that one spot. A normal belt
asteroid would be starlike at 30" and an NEO would give no more than
seen in the frame you posted. Minor planet checker shows nothing.
Without knowing the exact time of the shot I could be missing something
that fast but if it were that fast and known we'd be hearing about it as
it would have to be an NEO and a very near one.

I get really faint junk like that on virtually every frame. If it
doesn't go across anything but field stars, I burn them out with the
burn tool with a fuzzy edge set very low, 5% and do it several times.
Brighter ones have to be cloned out or left. They appear in about one
in every three frames. A pain to say the least.

One advantage of shooting through all the gunk of late is it dims these
guys to where I don't see nearly as many. It also gets rid of all the
faint stars and fuzzies as well so not a good trade.

Rick

Old July 18th 07, 05:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Rick Johnson wrote in
:

Snipola You're first try did come through here and I replied, so did
another
fellow asking about an asteroid like trail in the "lower left corner"
but I can't see what he's looking at. Only an NEO would trail enough to
easily see in 2 minutes at that scale and I see no trail anyway.

Snipola

It's there. I had ot turn my monitor bright up all the way
to see it, and then it was still faint. Didn't feel like
firing up the image editing software.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 19th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Hi Rick, The info on the file says it was taken July 14 between 11:04 and
11:06 pm, I checked this out and the times were within a minute of actual.
So do you find anything with a name or number in that area at the time?

Old July 19th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Since it goes completely across the field it has to be space junk as not
even a very close NEO would cross a that field in 30 seconds. I did
discover you are in the Eastern time zone. I'd mistakenly put you in
central. Astro times should always be in UTC. As that makes the date
July 15th not 14th and the time a bit after 3:00. So I used 17.13 for
the date and turned up nothing within 20 minutes of M27 down to 20th
magnitude.

http://scully.harvard.edu/~cgi/CheckMP

If you want to try other conditions but that has to be space junk.

I have a sort of dim night with thick haze so am trying to get
something. First frame as a bright piece of space junk right through
the very center of the object. Space junk is driving me nuts.

Rick

Old July 19th 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Rick Johnson wrote:
Since it goes completely across the field it has to be space junk as not
even a very close NEO would cross a that field in 30 seconds. I did
discover you are in the Eastern time zone. I'd mistakenly put you in
central. Astro times should always be in UTC. As that makes the date
July 15th not 14th and the time a bit after 3:00. So I used 17.13 for
the date and turned up nothing within 20 minutes of M27 down to 20th
magnitude.

http://scully.harvard.edu/~cgi/CheckMP

If you want to try other conditions but that has to be space junk.

I have a sort of dim night with thick haze so am trying to get
something. First frame as a bright piece of space junk right through
the very center of the object. Space junk is driving me nuts.

Rick

So, why not change your hobby to tracking space junk??
Your hit rate for sky objects would improve to to a new
highscore.....