ASTRO: It's nebula season again

Old June 10th 07, 07:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: It's nebula season again

it is nebula season again!

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ic1...2hao3_page.htm

i also added a marked up map showing some obscure things on the image. there
are many other things that are not marked on this map so I caution you...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic1396_map_xga.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	939
Old June 10th 07, 07:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

it is nebula season again!

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ic1...2hao3_page.htm

i also added a marked up map showing some obscure things on the image. there
are many other things that are not marked on this map so I caution you...

NO, I've still got a huge list of galaxies to work on.

I'd only need about 500 shots to cover that field!

Nothing but clouds here. Raining lightly right now. I had a clear night
a couple nights ago. It was a good month since I last imaged. I forgot
to turn on temp compensation for the focuser and the dew heater which I
didn't need in the super dry air all winter. So wasted that 2 hour
window I have between end and start of astro twilight. Still on
galaxies. They don't image well at narrowband bandwidths!

I suppose I should give a shot at the elephant trunk in IC 1396. There
are a few others that will fit in my FOV. I do need to add a wide field
system to the mount. Not in the budget at this time unfortunately.

Rick

Old June 10th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Whow, what a wide filed view you got here!
nice shot Richard.
reg
Dirk

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.
t...

Old June 10th 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

[...]

why not strap a 35mm camera to the side of your scope and open the shutter
for 45-90 minutes?

Old June 10th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"DvandenH" wrote in message
bel.net...
Whow, what a wide filed view you got here!
nice shot Richard.

thanks Dirk. the raw FOV is about 10.5 x 7 degrees approx.

6303 sensor and 150 mm focal length

reg
Dirk

Old June 10th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

it is nebula season again!

I fear it is. You certainly get great pictures in summer, but for me it is
drought time, being "into" galaxies.
At least I can get a bit more sleep in summer, when nights don't really
exist here up north.

Stefan

Old June 10th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

[...]

I got rid of all my dark room equipment. Can't develop film any more.
I never had much luck with commercial development nor do I have a
negative scanner.

Rick

Old June 10th 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
it is nebula season again!

I fear it is. You certainly get great pictures in summer, but for me it is
drought time, being "into" galaxies.
At least I can get a bit more sleep in summer, when nights don't really
exist here up north.

i took notice of the skies on Friday night (june 8)

it wasn't dark enough to image before 10:10pm

it was too bright to image by 4:35am

i am at 37.5 deg north roughly

Old June 11th 07, 06:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Actually here at 52 degrees north we don't even reach astronomical twilight.
The time where some imaging is possible is restricted from about midnight to
2 o'clock in the morning (daylight saving time). It looks to be clear this
night, but I really wonder if it is worth to set everything up (and get to
bed very late in spite of having to work tomorrow) for only two hours of
imaging...

Old June 11th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I do reach astronomical twilight here but only by about 1.5 degrees. I
see the difference when I start or end in nautical twilight but to get
any imaging in I have to do that. Gives me about two hours, same as
Stefan. Apparently the difference is the light pollution of Berlin
overwhelming early and late nautical twilight there. Stefan would
likely get three hours imaging here as he's a lot better at dealing with
extra light than I am. And to think, 6 months ago I started imaging
before supper! I could do several objects a night and still go to bed
at a reasonable time!

If I had a cloud sensor I'd just set up for one object and go to bed but
thunderstorms crop up so fast here this time of the year I can't do that
without one. Next in the budget is one but they've been out of stock
now for some time. I was told they'd have a new shipment a couple weeks
ago but still not there.

I started imaging last night but only two frames in a thunder storm blew
up. Didn't give us any rain but sure clouded up fast. Lousy seeing
with the highly unstable air is another problem. This is when I need
low res wide angle where seeing wouldn't be an issue.