Astro: NGC 5033 another one

Old June 4th 07, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: NGC 5033 another one

I've diddled with this one long enough. I'm back to version 3 after
about 20 others didn't look as good. The raw data was so weak I was
rather shocked when the image first came together. It wasn't at all
what I expected. Usually with weak data the color is awful and takes a
lot of effort to get back into something I can live with. In this case
it was dead on first try. It's been working with the faint arms that
has been my reason for redoing it so many times. In any case I think it
one of the prettiest I've done and to think I almost trashed the data!

This guy screamed to be rotated from the normal north up, east to the
left I use to post most images. It seemed far more three dimensional
when rotated with east up and north to the right. So I gave in and
rotated it.

There is a very odd looking galaxy well east of NGC 5033, near the top,
NGP9 F269-0544537. I can find no information on it, not even a
classification. It seems to be two bright orange blobs with a faint
bluer blob in the middle. Just the opposite of what I'd expect. The
dwarf spiral between it and NGC 5033 is LEDA (PGC) 166160. I didn't try
to identify any of the other smudges.

14" LX200R @ F/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME, Image scale is 1.015" per pixel.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5033L4X10RGB2X10-R1R.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	925
Old June 4th 07, 07:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Hey, NGC 5033 looks like a real galaxy in your picture, my version (and most
others) only show a "skeleton" of a galaxy because only the "bright" parts
can be seen. And you even got good colour for such a faint object. The
galaxy to the top is strange indeed.

Stefan

Old June 4th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

Default Astro: NGC 5033 another one..what's that?

Doesn't that look like two spirals slamming into each other?..

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

Name:	twinsomething.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	927
Old June 4th 07, 09:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

When I was taking it I didn't think I had the arms, just the knots.
Even after the dark subtraction I saw little hint of the arms. So my
first processing dug deep hoping to find something and I dug too deep
ending up with something that had promise but needed lots of work. So I
redid it digging less. Better, so then processed it normally and that's
what I posted. The arms were there without the digging for them much to
my surprise. Color needed no work at all. This is just as taken
without any change of the color balance at all! Normally the blue needs
a big boost. Though by using 40% longer blue frames I can avoid that.
But I didn't do that here and it worked anyway. I don't get it.

Even Adam Block's Kitt Peak shot only picked up faint hints of the arms
so why I got them in my short exposure I don't know. And he used 2.5X
more exposure than I did. Though he used the same 20 minute for Red and
Blue, only 10 for green.
http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/n5033.html
Think this the first time my shot went deeper than an AOP image.

Rick

Old June 4th 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

That's one possibility. Problem is the lack of hot blue stars. Usually
a collision creates a lot of those. They may be hidden by dust and some
of the orange may be HII mixed with the blue stars. There definitely is
a weird arm off the "top". Whether it is a tidal arm is hard to say.
The gap in the middle with the blue blob off to one side is another
problem to explain with about any interpretation. I never heard of a
galaxy being cut in half before by the "Blue Ball of Death".

Couldn't find where Hubble had looked at it. I'd love to see what it
shows. I just don't have the seeing to resolve detail.

Rick

Old June 5th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"G" wrote in message
Doesn't that look like two spirals slamming into each other?..

Here's another image of the 5033 area I took some time back

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._cm10_page.htm

i don't guess i got the faint little guys noted by G; looks like I got the
tail end of them but not all of them....

Old June 5th 07, 06:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard,

Most of NGP9 F269-0544537 is in your shot, just not that odd arm.

Do you still have that 7" AP scope. They are few and far between.

Rick

Richard Crisp wrote:
"G" wrote in message

Doesn't that look like two spirals slamming into each other?..

Here's another image of the 5033 area I took some time back

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._cm10_page.htm

i don't guess i got the faint little guys noted by G; looks like I got the
tail end of them but not all of them....

. ..

Old June 5th 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

[...]

Hi Rick. I really liked that one. I hope you don't mind, but yu said that
the color was fine, and I agree. However, I couldn't resist trying and so
I did some color enhancement (which I've been playing with lately) just to
see what it would look like. He's my result (if my playing around with
your images tees you off, let me know and I won't do it anymore). I hope
you like it. Enjoy:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5033L4X10RGB2X10-R1R.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	928
Old June 5th 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
Richard,

Most of NGP9 F269-0544537 is in your shot, just not that odd arm.

Do you still have that 7" AP scope. They are few and far between.

Rick

Most doesn't do it for me, I want all of it Rick :-)

Yep, I still have the AP180 f/9. I really like it a lot.

The f/7 is the really rare one, something like 20 of them made. The f/9 had
about 128 of them in their production run. Not real common but not super
rare either.

Old June 6th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

What a fine image Rick... detail and lots of signal.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com