ASTRO: final in widefield Halpha (Baader) series: M24 / M17 regions

Old May 28th 07, 01:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: final in widefield Halpha (Baader) series: M24 / M17 regions

this is the final of the three images from my fremont peak outing last
night. this is 4 x 20 minutes with Baader Halpha filter, FLI IMG6303E camera
and Pentax 150mm f/2.8 medium format (6x7) camera lens

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m24...03_bp_page.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m24__pentax150_6303_bp_4x20min_xga.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	910
Old May 28th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

this is the final of the three images from my fremont peak outing last
night. this is 4 x 20 minutes with Baader Halpha filter, FLI IMG6303E camera
and Pentax 150mm f/2.8 medium format (6x7) camera lens

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m24...03_bp_page.htm

Sagittarius, Cygnus, Cepheus can't be up yet. I haven't finished Virgo!

Looks like you had a productive night. Narrow band season is upon us
already!

We lost a few more trees. Firewood for next winter is piling up faster
than I can cut and split it. No rain, just winds. Though we did get a
bit a few days earlier.

Nice clear day but clouds are trying to roll in tonight. Clouds
forecast by morning. I lost this entire month it appears and less than
an inch of rain to show for it. Was enough I could just barely get the
boat onto the lift after the rain. Don't know if I'll get it off again
as lake is headed down rapidly as it feeds the water table.

Rick

Old May 28th 07, 03:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

You need to move to this location! Great images all Richard.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
t...

Old May 28th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Fabio

Very amazing picture.....
.....you are encouraging me using the SIGMA 150 F2.8 with my SHV-H9C !!!
Seeing permitting...

Regards

Fabio Acquarone
Website: http://www.fabioh2o.it
Email :

t...

Old May 28th 07, 10:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Fabio" wrote in message
. ..
Very amazing picture.....
....you are encouraging me using the SIGMA 150 F2.8 with my SHV-H9C !!!
Seeing permitting...

thanks Fabio

The seeing really plays little role in this: I am imaging at 12+
arc-sec/pixel, so the seeing can be quite bad and it makes no difference in
the widefield image. I just need good clear skies, that's all.

I had 2/3 of the moon up in the sky making things bright too.

Old May 29th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvdH

Nice imaging job here Richard! wow what a stars here..
The long nights are over here, 2, 3hrs at the most fore darkness, time for
the maintenance season on the equipment.
But i love watching you guys imaging.

reg
Dirk

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old May 30th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Richard, amazing depth for the rather short (at least by your standards)
exposure time. Maybe the long time for each exposure does the trick...

Stefan

t...

Old May 30th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

it doesn't hurt to take longer subexposures.

i like to get my signal's square root quite a bit bigger than the read noise
so that I am shot noise limited instead of read noise limited.

My camera is in the 9 electron range for read noise and m y gain is about
2.1 electrons per ADU

so long as i have 81 or more electrons, which is in the 200 or so ADU range
(after bias/dark subtraction) then I meet that criteria.

usually I just shoot 20 or 30 minutes and sometimes will go 45 minutes. I
stopped at 20 to prevent bad star blooming.