ASTRO: M90

Old May 25th 07, 08:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M90

Another Virgo Cluster Galaxy and one that is blue shifted. Its headed
our way probably at a velocity that will allow it to escape the cluster.
The blue dwarf galaxy above it is IC 3583 and has a normal red shift
for the cluster so is not tagging along for the ride. Notes at NED
contradict each other. Some say the two are interacting, some say they
are not and one says; "Non interacting pair with dwarf IC 3583 at 6.0
arcmin north. Possibly interacting." Now that's covering your
backside! In any case IC 3583 is very blue and is classed as a
Magellanic type dwarf. It has a nice dust lane and shows a lot of
detail. The brightest part seems left of center as there's a large
faint blue fuzz glow right of the bright part of the galaxy.

The asteroid down and to the right is (38582) 1999 XE37 at magnitude 17.6.

M90 reminds me a lot of M64, the Black Eye Galaxy. It has a similar set
of dust and star clouds in relation to the nucleus and the rest of the
arms are not well defined at all. The star clouds in the dust lane show
lots of reddening, same as in M64 as well. Just the dust isn't quite as
thick and extends further around the galaxy.

14" LX200R @ F/10, L=9x5' binned 2x2, RGB=3x5' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M90L9X5RGB3X5X3.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	903

Old May 25th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Good view Rick... I like the colors and fine detail you have brouoght out.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 27th 07, 08:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
astrobry

Hello Rick

awesome image ! and thanks for the explanation for what we see on this image
!

cheers
Erik Bryssinck

"Rick Johnson" schreef in bericht

Old May 28th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks.

Color came out better than usual. Least I like it better. Didn't do
anything different but the blue didn't dominate as it often does.

Sky seems often brighter in green and red. If I bring up blue to
balance then some, not all, objects get too blue. Longer blue exposures
doesn't seem to help. Since processing this one I've tried a couple
other methods. Sometimes they seem to work better, other times worse.
I have a ways to go before I find something that works every time.

Rick

Old May 28th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:

Good view Rick... I like the colors and fine detail you have brouoght out.

Thanks.

I thought the color came out better than usual. M90 has nice detail to
begin with as does IC 3583. So the detail is more due to them than me.
Seeing was my normal 3.5" unfortunately.

Rick

Old May 28th 07, 09:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

M90 reminds me a lot of M64, the Black Eye Galaxy. It has a similar set
of dust and star clouds in relation to the nucleus and the rest of the
arms are not well defined at all. The star clouds in the dust lane show
lots of reddening, same as in M64 as well. Just the dust isn't quite as
thick and extends further around the galaxy.

Great image Rick!! With lots of little background systems. M-90 looks like
it's almost a lenticular, with its gas & dust stripped. There's obviously
some left, but much of it might have been stripped during whatever encounter
kicked it out of the cluster.

George N

Old May 28th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

M90 reminds me a lot of M64, the Black Eye Galaxy. It has a similar set
of dust and star clouds in relation to the nucleus and the rest of the
arms are not well defined at all. The star clouds in the dust lane show
lots of reddening, same as in M64 as well. Just the dust isn't quite as
thick and extends further around the galaxy.

Great image Rick!! With lots of little background systems. M-90 looks like
it's almost a lenticular, with its gas & dust stripped. There's obviously
some left, but much of it might have been stripped during whatever encounter
kicked it out of the cluster.

George N

It turned out to be far more interesting than I expected. Dust seems to
really redden the star clouds near the core yet there's little evidence
of new star formation. The arms are more gray than blue indicating the
arms are not dominated by the brilliance of O B and A stars as is
usually the case. Sure not blue compared to the dwarf!

Sometimes galaxies are quite colorful or have rather strong colors I
don't expect. Others seem to come out so bland I think I took the color
frames all through one filter. For a while I thought it was my
processing but now think it the galaxy. If not for the blue dwarf I'd
have thought the blue was weak though conditions when I took it wouldn't
indicate that to be the case. Obviously it wasn't but without the other
galaxy I'd have been wondering where the blue went.

Currently I'm working on NGC 4647 which is an interesting spiral lost in
M60's glare. The color of it is mostly blue, right up to the core yet
M60 is coming out the normal, very light golden orange of a typical
elliptical. Otherwise I'd have thought it had way too much blue. I
should have it ready for posting in a bit but house is a bit too busy to
finish work on it right now. Then there's those pesky downed (well half
downed) trees from the last storm to deal with. Some are over the road
ready to fall as you drive under. Power was out several hours thanks to
wind -- no rain of course, can't disturb the drought. We did get some
a few days before but some doesn't cut it right now. We need a several
day soaker.
Rick

Old May 29th 07, 02:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
Another Virgo Cluster Galaxy and one that is blue shifted. Its headed
our way probably at a velocity that will allow it to escape the cluster.
The blue dwarf galaxy above it is IC 3583 and has a normal red shift
for the cluster so is not tagging along for the ride. Notes at NED
contradict each other. Some say the two are interacting, some say they
are not and one says; "Non interacting pair with dwarf IC 3583 at 6.0
arcmin north. Possibly interacting." Now that's covering your
backside! In any case IC 3583 is very blue and is classed as a
Magellanic type dwarf. It has a nice dust lane and shows a lot of
detail. The brightest part seems left of center as there's a large
faint blue fuzz glow right of the bright part of the galaxy.

Incredible image Rick! Look at all of the faint fuzzies in the surrounding
field!

Scott