ASTRO: Cherry Springs State Park

Old May 24th 07, 05:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Cherry Springs State Park

Cherry Springs State Park is Pennsylvania's only "astronomy park". Very
remote, with very dark sky. However, it does have AC power on the observing
field, water, and two domes and a roll-off available for rental (BYO
scopes). They plan on putting in flush toilets, a classroom, and a
planetarium this fall. The state runs astronomy programs on Saturday
evenings. This is the home of the CSSP each spring and the Black Forest Star
Party each fall. The total capacity is about 500 people on the observing
field. It costs $4 per night to camp/observe here and there is another small
fee for AC power use. There's a pay phone across the road - cell phones
don't work here.

The pic shows some apple trees in the forested section of the park.

I'll try and post a few more pic's from CSSP in a few days.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CherrySprings-appleTree.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	898
Old May 24th 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H[_2_]

George very nice pictures thx for sharing,
unfortunetly we don't have these kind of meetings here in holland.but i sure
like to attend one!
Perhaps when i am in your country when i visit one of my (airline) vendor
meetings :-)
reg
Dirk

Old May 25th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"D van den H" wrote
George very nice pictures thx for sharing,
unfortunetly we don't have these kind of meetings here in holland.but i
sure like to attend one!
Perhaps when i am in your country when i visit one of my (airline) vendor
meetings :-)
reg

Dirk,

I've seen in Sky & Telescope that some guys from Germany go to a remote
hotel in South Africa that is set up for astronomy. Dark southern sky! They
folks there would probably even speak some form of Dutch. Of the star
parties in the USA I would bet the two best to visit would be the Texas Star
Party and the Winter Star Party in the Florida Keys.

George N