ASTRO: Mr & Mrs "Obsession" at CSSP

Old May 24th 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Mr & Mrs "Obsession" at CSSP

It's nice when a couple have the same hobby. However these two own 'his &
hers' Obsession Dob's and although they observe side-by-side, they only
rarely look thru the other's scope!! Real nice folks who like Cherry Springs
so much that they purchased a cabin nearby.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obsession-couple.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	897
Old May 30th 07, 07:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
It's nice when a couple have the same hobby. However these two own 'his &
hers' Obsession Dob's and although they observe side-by-side, they only
rarely look thru the other's scope!! Real nice folks who like Cherry Springs
so much that they purchased a cabin nearby.

George N

We have a couple Obsessions in our club, none has a light bulb behind
the mirror. What the heck is that for? And what's that white cylinder?
There seems to be a 110 power cord tied to it, ungrounded too.

Rick

Old June 2nd 07, 05:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

i'd guess the lightbulb is meant to keep things dry when the scope is left
in the garage set up?

the PVC pipe looks like a handle for lifting the unit up out of the cradle.

what's the real story George?

Old June 2nd 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker[_1_]

On Wed, 30 May 2007 01:47:57 -0500, Rick Johnson
wrote:

George Normandin wrote:
It's nice when a couple have the same hobby. However these two own 'his &
hers' Obsession Dob's and although they observe side-by-side, they only
rarely look thru the other's scope!! Real nice folks who like Cherry Springs
so much that they purchased a cabin nearby.

George N

We have a couple Obsessions in our club, none has a light bulb behind
the mirror. What the heck is that for? And what's that white cylinder?
There seems to be a 110 power cord tied to it, ungrounded too.

It's difficult to get a shock off a glass bulb in a plastic socket.
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

Woman next door leaning over fence: "Morning Nancy, what are you doing there?"
Little girl: "My goldfish died, so I'm burying him!"
Woman next door: "You silly girl, that hole is far too big for a goldfish!"
Little girl: "That's because he's inside your ****ing cat!!!"
Old June 2nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

wrote:

George Normandin wrote:

It's nice when a couple have the same hobby. However these two own 'his &
hers' Obsession Dob's and although they observe side-by-side, they only
rarely look thru the other's scope!! Real nice folks who like Cherry Springs
so much that they purchased a cabin nearby.

George N

We have a couple Obsessions in our club, none has a light bulb behind
the mirror. What the heck is that for? And what's that white cylinder?
There seems to be a 110 power cord tied to it, ungrounded too.

It's difficult to get a shock off a glass bulb in a plastic socket.

Difficult but not impossible, Doug Mathers, a good friend of mine died
exactly that way. He picked up one of those plastic AC drills that has
only a polarized two prong plug while working outside. His wife found
him a few hours later still clutching the ungrounded plug he was
plugging in. She nearly died trying to "save" him. I threw out three
such tools I had after that and put in ground fault outlets around the
outside of the house as further protection. All outlets in the
observatory are also ground fault for this reason. After losing Doug I
don't take unneeded chances.

Rick

Old June 2nd 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
i'd guess the lightbulb is meant to keep things dry when the scope is left
in the garage set up?

the PVC pipe looks like a handle for lifting the unit up out of the
cradle.

what's the real story George?

I did notice the bulbs that both of these scopes had. I did not ask.
However Dave K recommends (in his "Big Dob" book, and the Obsession users
Yahoo group) using a low wattage lightbulb (on a timer) near the primary for
scopes left in an un-heated shed/observatory to keep morning dew off the
primary. He also recommends leaving a Dob with the back end pointing east so
that the rising sun heats up the primary to prevent dew. It's kinda ironic
that, after fighting all night to get the optics down to air temp, that in
the morning you need to warm them up to prevent 'acid dew' (or frost)
forming. What's next? Active cooling for primary mirrors??

I believe that the PVC pipe is an Obsession optional item. You fill it with
lead shot to balance the scope. The first owner of my scope added a
"Markless Counterweight System", so I don't need the pipe thing. I move a
sliding weight up/down a calibrated scale to balance the scope. The idea is
that you set the weight at the number needed to balance whatever you have on
the scope. I just put it in the same place most of the time and adjust if
needed.

George N

Old June 2nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

It's difficult to get a shock off a glass bulb in a plastic socket.

Difficult but not impossible, Doug Mathers, a good friend of mine died
exactly that way. He picked up one of those plastic AC drills that has
only a polarized two prong plug while working outside.......

Sorry to hear about your friend Rick. I've had a friend and an uncle
electrocuted, but both in industrial situations. It's something I think of
at the camp I rent in the Adirondacks: the place has late 40's wiring with
no grounds anywhere. You need a 2/3 prong converter to plug anything in. I'm
not sure about that old cloth covered wiring either......... but the rent's
cheap and the camp just up the lake sold for $750,000 last year, so I don't
complain.....

George N

Old June 2nd 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

i like the counterweight idea

your answer on the bulb matched my suspicion but was even more broad than I
had realized

i always wondered how people got things to balance just right on the dob
mount, having never used one myself: always been an imager and never was a
visual guy

"George Normandin" wrote in message
news

"Richard Crisp" wrote

Old June 2nd 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message
"Rick Johnson" wrote

It's difficult to get a shock off a glass bulb in a plastic socket.

Difficult but not impossible, Doug Mathers, a good friend of mine died
exactly that way. He picked up one of those plastic AC drills that has
only a polarized two prong plug while working outside.......

Sorry to hear about your friend Rick. I've had a friend and an uncle
electrocuted, but both in industrial situations. It's something I think of
at the camp I rent in the Adirondacks: the place has late 40's wiring with
no grounds anywhere. You need a 2/3 prong converter to plug anything in.
I'm not sure about that old cloth covered wiring either......... but the
rent's cheap and the camp just up the lake sold for $750,000 last year, so
I don't complain.....

you got a heck of a deal up there George: when you can ford the snow to get
to the observatory. home grown tomatoes are great in january out here in
calif, and our cherry trees have bloomed before the end of jan :-)

George N

Old June 2nd 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker[_1_]

wrote:

George Normandin wrote:

[...]

Most of my power tools are battery operated (but more for convenience
- no cables to get in the way when moving around with them).

Over here we have 240 volts, 110 isn't a real shock! (I've had about
6 240V shocks).
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

When you own Llamas... spit happens