Collimation.

Old March 17th 04, 10:00 AM
HobGobSnakyWaky

Default Collimation.

I couldn't belive how 'out' my new scope was. After reading loads on
t'internet about collimation I decided to have a quick check of my scope
using the 'peephole' method. Turns out the primary mirror was pointing in
the wrong direction, and the secondary mirror was barely under the focuser.
Spent the afternoon twidling and now I've got a much better image.

Anyone out there with a new scope, if you've got the gumption I'd recommend
trying to collimate it, seem to be wellworth the effort.

Stuart

Old March 17th 04, 09:40 PM
Stephen Tonkin

HobGobSnakyWaky wrote:
Anyone out there with a new scope, if you've got the gumption I'd
recommend trying to collimate it, seem to be wellworth the effort.

No doubt about it. Poor collimation is by far the most common reason for
poor images in amateur telescopes. (My C5 used to hold collimation very
well, but I'd still check it nearly every time I used it -- rarely
needed it, but...)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old March 18th 04, 03:22 AM
Eclipsme

"HobGobSnakyWaky" wrote in message
I couldn't belive how 'out' my new scope was. After reading loads on
t'internet about collimation I decided to have a quick check of my scope
using the 'peephole' method. Turns out the primary mirror was pointing in
the wrong direction, and the secondary mirror was barely under the

focuser.
Spent the afternoon twidling and now I've got a much better image.

Anyone out there with a new scope, if you've got the gumption I'd

recommend
trying to collimate it, seem to be wellworth the effort.

Stuart

Funny you should mention it. I got an Hardin Optical Dob about 6 mths ago -
8". Very nice for Mars, and now Jupiter and Saturn. A friend came over a few
nights ago and helped me collimate it. Wow! What a difference, My secondary
was not centered, and was pointing a bit low. Jupiter has detail I never
dreamt was possible.

Yes, collimate. I am a believer!

Harvey

Old March 18th 04, 06:57 AM
CLT

Hi Stuart,

Good job! A lot of people are afraid to adjust anything, thinking they will
just make it worse. But after being shipped, it is guaranteed a new newt or
SCT is out of collimation and desperately needs it.

So what have you been looking at?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old March 18th 04, 08:56 PM
mike ring

Stephen Tonkin wrote in
:

No doubt about it. Poor collimation is by far the most common reason for
poor images in amateur telescopes. (My C5 used to hold collimation very
well, but I'd still check it nearly every time I used it -- rarely
needed it, but...)

What is a "quick check", Stephen.

I am still quite some way from getting my C5 right, mainly because the only
nights I have been able to see anything it's been ** freezing, and I
haven't been able to keep the use of my fingers long enough.

But it's improved enough, after false starts, that I am optimistic of one
day getting it right, and then I won't let it get so far out again.

But what sort of magnitude star, and what sort of eyepiece, would give a
good enough check without spending most of my time on setting up;

many thanks for your suggestions

mike r
Old March 18th 04, 11:34 PM
Stephen Tonkin

mike ring wrote:
What is a "quick check", Stephen.

Star test.

But what sort of magnitude star,

1st or 2nd. (Polaris is fine if you don't want to bother with aligning a
mount)

and what sort of eyepiece,

8mm

Old March 19th 04, 08:31 PM
mike ring

Stephen Tonkin wrote in
:

What is a "quick check", Stephen.

Star test.

But what sort of magnitude star,

1st or 2nd. (Polaris is fine if you don't want to bother with aligning a
mount)

and what sort of eyepiece,

8mm

Thanks very much, Stephen - I'm trying to work up to Polaris, but it's
quite hard to see from here, so I'm still working on REgulus and co at
around 12.5.

Already an improvement, though. I'll have it right by the time it's light
all night

mike r