Mercury transitions

Old February 1st 19, 10:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Mercury transitions

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data...current_c3.gif

The satellite dispenses with any daily rotational effects so it can be presented purely on the basis of the transition from right to left of the Sun with its inherent meaning that Mercury is moving behind the Sun from our slower moving perspective.

From the surface of our rotating planet where the distance from observer to horizon acts like a sun visor, the transition of Mercury goes from a morning to evening appearance but won't be visible for a number of weeks yet.

As this is all new and Mercury rapidly goes through its orbital milestones, people should try to add to the perspective as though they took astronomy seriously, at least this form of astronomy. Nobody is held to their previous views so long as they take the more expansive view in an era which allows people to look towards the central Sun and all the planets as they appear close to the Sun's glare.

Old February 2nd 19, 09:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

One of the other benefits of that satellite imaging is that it nails down the seasonal appearance of stars to the right of the Sun and as a marker for the Earth's orbital position in space -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap181123.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74B98ITKEA&t=279s

The number of times the planet turns in arriving back at the same orbital point remains one of the most remarkable astronomical insights we owe to our ancestors -

".. on account of the procession of the rising of Sirius by one day in the course of 4 years,.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the new year" Canopus Decree 238 BC

This isn't for the rough people who continuously bite each other in this newsgroup but for those who see a way out of celestial sphere notions that disrupt the enjoyment of contemporary imaging and careful observations of the older astronomers.

I have hope that the major engineering organisation would pick up on the narrative which connects planetary cycles with timekeeping but it is dismaying to see they persist with a silly celestial sphere error made centuries ago that tries to displace one rotation each 24 hours with a nonsensical 23.9 hour value -

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/earth/in-depth/

My heart sinks, not for myself but for all the care and effort that goes into the actual narrative that connects astronomy to the motions of the Earth and into timekeeping. The eccentric here may not care as they are immune to anything but RA/Dec but people with mind and heart should care and act.
Old February 3rd 19, 10:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

An ex-astronaut was on tv today telling the audience how he had views denied Earthbound observers as the station went through a 90 minute orbit of the Earth. I certainly feel astronomy as an immersive experience from the point of view it feels we are on 'spacecraft' Earth and can see how the planets move relative to us and to the central Sun.

There was once a lot of distractions to prevent contributors of this newsgroup biting each other but lately with the influx of science fantasy brigade, apart from a few people, people choose to make themselves small before creation and the great instruments that expand our point of view.

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data...current_c3.gif

The emergence of the stars to the right of the Sun is so remarkable in context of timekeeping and proof of the Earth's orbital motion yet people do not pick up on the nuances that should define a new and more productive approach.

Weeks, months and years of blankness do not diminish what is there for people to enjoy, not those who live off discord but those who have a feel for the motions involved in those images.