ASTRO: NGC 6834 A quick process of an open cluster

Old June 11th 13, 07:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 6834 A quick process of an open cluster

NGC 6834 is an open cluster in Vulpecula that fits my limited field of
view. I took it more of a test of a new method I thought up of better
pulling a cluster from the background Milky Way stars. I've had
problems with them getting lost in the Milky Way's starry background. I
developed some different curves that brings out the brighter stars but
holds back background stars somewhat. I tried this with two approaches.
One using a luminance stack to pick up any background galaxies and the
other using only RGB data. Due to the loss in the filters and not
exposing long enough to be sky limited the fainter stars are greatly
reduced but the brighter ones come though well. Sort of like using less
aperture. RGB always helps star colors as well. For this purpose I
prefer the RGB version but am presenting both in case you disagree. Let
me know which you prefer. Also they at both 1" per pixel and 1.5" per
pixel.

Details on star clusters are often sketchy. Dreyer's description reads;
Cl,P,lC, st 11...12 which translates into cluster, poor, little
condensed with 11th and 12th magnitude stars. Dreyer would be rather
impressed I'd think by what today's small telescopes see when looking at
his "poor cluster". WEBDA says this cluster is 76 million years old and
is 6,700 light-years distant while Wikipedia says it is 65 million years
old ± 18 million years and is 7,000 light-years distant. Quite
reasonable agreement for a change. SEDS puts its diameter at 5 minutes.
At a distance of 6,850 light-years (splitting the difference) it would
be 10 light-years across. I found little else on the group.

I started this one one night but only got 2 blue images before clouds
nailed me. I then retook it assuming the blue frames were cloud damaged
but they were fine so I used them along with the normal data and
incorporated them into the pseudo luminance image used for that version.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' or pseudo L=8x10' RG=2x10' B=4x10'

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6834PSL8X10RG2X10B4X10.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	774.4 KB
ID:	4634  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6834L4X10RG2X10B4X10R.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	4635  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6834PSL8X10RG2X10B4X10-67.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	4636  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6834L4X10RG2X10B4X10R-67.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	4637
Old June 11th 13, 09:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Rick Johnson wrote in news:51b6c1bd$0$7706$a8266bb1
@newsreader.readnews.com:

For this purpose I prefer the RGB version but am presenting both
in case you disagree.

I prefer the second image. Not entirely sure if that's the RGB
version you like. Although there are more background stars in
the image, the cluster seems to punch through more brightly.
It seems to have more contrast.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?