Trouble with WA0CKY messages

Old November 22nd 14, 12:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Geoff[_4_]

Default Trouble with WA0CKY messages

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:31:42 +0100, Asterix
wrote:

In article , Geoff
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 05:13:28 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

I get lots of emails about my images but you're the only one reporting
this problem.

Note that I do not post these to USENET. Yet that is where you are
seeing them. I don't have direct USENET access any more since my ISP
dropped it years ago. The USENET postings are made by the website
www.spacebanter.com from posts made to that site. The links go to
proper web based format images. Sounds like your reader is assuming the
images are in one of the USENET formats rather than web based. So
displays them as a text file (7 bit rather than 8 bit). Try pasting the
link into your web browser. That should read it without trouble. Or go
directly to the web page
http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25 and view them there.
Or find a USENET reader that can recognize and handle web based images.

Rick

bleak_fire_;1281135 Wrote:
Hi,

Every time I try and download WA0CKY's images, there are no
attachments,
instead the file appears in text form right beneath the description. I
don't have this problem in any other binary group. I'm using 40tude
Dialog.
Has anyone else had this problem with WA0CKY's messages?

Thank you!

--
b.f.

Links? What links? Spacebanter is posting them as UUEncoded
attachments in the news servers. Your last post on Abell 1314 first
attachment begins:

"begin 666 ABELL1314L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
M_]C_X1TM17AI9@``24DJ``@````.```!`P`!````U````$!`P`! ````.`4`"
[snip]

There are no links back to your forum site in the messages.
My news reader has no trouble decoding your image attachments.

I may have a clue to the problem:

In some newsreaders (e.g. MacSOUP), the first line of the attachment
reads:
-----
Rick-- WA0CKYbegin 666 ABELL1314L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
-----

Some newsreaders will have a hard time decoding that...

In other newsreadrers (e.g. Thoth), the same line is split into:

-----
Rick

--
WA0CKY

begin 666 ABELL1314L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
-----

So, I think spacebanter handles CR/LF in a non-standard way, that some
newsreader can't handle.

As an example, Opening the post in MacSOUP takes several minutes, and
it displays an endless row of uuencoded text without any linefeeds. It
wraps the code to fill the window.
MacSOUP dosn't do decoding, by the way.

Thoth handles and decodes the file properly, but if I try to "extract
manually" without decoding, in the saved file the image shows up as a
single line of code (i.e. no linefeeds).

Trying an older post, Galaxy groups NGC 4410, 4411 Abell 1541 and others
Thoth would download and decode the attachment properly, but crash
trying to "extract manually" without decoding.
I just could not save that one as text.

Hope this helps illuminating the problem.

I displayed the message in raw form in Agent, copy-pasted it into
UltraEdit and looked at it in Hex and it has two cr/lf's following the
WA0CKY. I don't know if they were transformed by Agent as it retrieved
the message. Can you suggest a news client for OSX? I can check it on
my MacBook Pro.
Old November 22nd 14, 12:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Geoff[_4_]

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:14:35 GMT, Skywise
wrote:

Odd that this didn't start until someone complained.

Darn those complainers anyway! They spoil it for everyone! Everything
works fine until then.
Old November 22nd 14, 01:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Geoff wrote in
:

wrote:

Odd that this didn't start until someone complained.

Darn those complainers anyway! They spoil it for everyone! Everything
works fine until then.

I see what you did there.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old November 22nd 14, 04:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Anders Eklöf

Geoff wrote:

I displayed the message in raw form in Agent, copy-pasted it into
UltraEdit and looked at it in Hex and it has two cr/lf's following the
WA0CKY. I don't know if they were transformed by Agent as it retrieved
the message. Can you suggest a news client for OSX? I can check it on
my MacBook Pro.

I'm using MacSOUP, which is text-only, and Thoth.
You could also try Unison, which was recently released as freeware.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
Old November 22nd 14, 07:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Geoff[_4_]

On 2014-11-22 03:54:20 +0000, Anders Eklöf said:

Geoff wrote:

I displayed the message in raw form in Agent, copy-pasted it into
UltraEdit and looked at it in Hex and it has two cr/lf's following the
WA0CKY. I don't know if they were transformed by Agent as it retrieved
the message. Can you suggest a news client for OSX? I can check it on
my MacBook Pro.

I'm using MacSOUP, which is text-only, and Thoth.
You could also try Unison, which was recently released as freeware.

The WA0CKY posts all decode correctly in Unison. Nice program. Not as
flexible as Forte Agent for getting at the guts of a post, but a nice
tool.

Old December 16th 14, 08:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Hello,

just for the record: Outlook Express decodes these pictures flawlessly.

Stefan

"bleak_fire_" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
Hi,

Every time I try and download WA0CKY's images, there are no attachments,
instead the file appears in text form right beneath the description. I
don't have this problem in any other binary group. I'm using 40tude Dialog.
Has anyone else had this problem with WA0CKY's messages?

Thank you!

--
b.f.

FYI ... control messages vis a vis AUK Ra♥ïâ¿g L♂♀♫iε Misc 1 November 6th 05 01:57 AM
trouble downloading new messages? Lee Amateur Astronomy 0 September 10th 03 03:58 AM
Alien messages Rusty Barton Policy 1 August 1st 03 05:11 AM
Signing messages Jon Berndt Space Shuttle 5 July 19th 03 01:25 PM
Signing messages OM History 1 July 13th 03 07:12 PM