ASTRO: NGC 6760 A Golden Globule Cluster

Old January 18th 14, 06:17 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: NGC 6760 A Golden Globule Cluster

NGC 6760 it a rarely imaged globular cluster in Aquila about 24,100 light-years from us and 15,600 from the galactic center. It was discovered in 1845 by John Hind. The cluster's integrated spectral type is G5 so it is slightly yellow but reddening from looking through the disk of the galaxy has turned it much redder than it really is. Half the mass of the cluster lies within 1.27 minutes of its center though stars can go out nearly 13 minutes before tidal forces of the galaxy will rip them away. That would be more than half way to the edges of the long dimension of my image. For such a nice globular it is surprisingly unknown. It is about magnitude 8.9 visually further adding to the mystery of its obscurity. In fact, checking my visual logs it appears I've ignored it like everyone else. I find no entry for it.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=1x10' (clouds nailed color data), STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6760L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	4953  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6760L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	4954
Old January 18th 14, 09:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

That's a very nice shot. The reddish/yellow of the cluster
contrasts nicely with the blue foreground stars. Neither
gets lost in the dense background of the galaxy stars.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earthquake prediction & Earth
Sciences
Old January 21st 14, 10:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I just searched my harddisk and found no image of this "gold standard" of
globular clusters.
At least it is on my list now.

Stefan

Old January 22nd 14, 07:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It seems to be rather overlooked by the amateur community. I don't know
why. It's been on my to-do list from the beginning but it seemed
something else always came first. May be the reason it is so rarely
seen. Just too many others competing for scope time at a time (for us
northerners anyway) it is hard to come by thanks to short nights.

Rick

On 1/21/2014 4:18 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
[...]

Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net