Phoenix spacecraft humor

Old May 27th 08, 12:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Logajan

Default Phoenix spacecraft humor

Now we know why the success rate of spacecraft to Mars has been so low.
According to the text associated with this image:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph..._full_001.html

the Phoenix has "octagonal solar panels" but in fact there appear to be
10 sides. Fortytwo possible explanations:

1) Mars is so far from Earth that space-time warping changes the way
edges are counted.

2) Eight in base eight is written 10, just as ten in base ten is written
as 10, so "octagonal" sometimes means "ten" such as during a full Phobos
moon.

8) The Martians are messing with our minds and attached two more panels
in the infamous 15-minute gap before they were deployed. Clever little
imps!
Old May 27th 08, 12:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Logajan

After some research, I have found some never before seen images of
Martians! Compare what NASA sent up:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...n_PIA07247.jpg

with this high-resolution satellite photo capturing the Martians in
action, attaching extra solar panels and doing other tricky things:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...g_PIA01885.jpg

That hate us for our freedoms! Particularly the freedom to count
things however well we damn like!
Old May 27th 08, 12:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
jonathan[_3_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Now we know why the success rate of spacecraft to Mars has been so low.
According to the text associated with this image:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph..._full_001.html

the Phoenix has "octagonal solar panels" but in fact there appear to be
10 sides. Fortytwo possible explanations:

I can only think of these three reasons.

3) They figured no one would know what 'decagonal solar panels' meant.

1) Mars is so far from Earth that space-time warping changes the way
edges are counted.

2) Eight in base eight is written 10, just as ten in base ten is written
as 10, so "octagonal" sometimes means "ten" such as during a full Phobos
moon.

8) The Martians are messing with our minds and attached two more panels
in the infamous 15-minute gap before they were deployed. Clever little
imps!

Keep an eye on that article, their time-police might get wind and fix it.

Old May 27th 08, 12:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

It's obvious that Phoenix is a tourist- first thing it takes a picture of is
its foot.

"Hey, is this thing working? Where's the film?"

Old May 27th 08, 04:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jim Logajan wrote:

2) Eight in base eight is written 10, just as ten in base ten is written
as 10, so "octagonal" sometimes means "ten" such as during a full Phobos
moon.

H.G Wells' Martians had a group of eight tendrils on either side of
their mouths, so I assume they use either base eight or sixteen as far
as counting goes. ;-)

Pat

Pat