Hypersonics Overhype

Old April 2nd 04, 05:41 AM
Eric Chomko

Default 90,000 ft tall vertical maglev-scramjet launch tower

TKalbfus ) wrote:
: Ok then how about an elevated maglev track?
:
: Tom
:

: Better yet, how about a 90,000 ft tall vertical maglev scramjet launch tower?
: That's about 8 miles high, it should be possible to build a compression tower

Try 17 miles: 90,000 / 5,280 ~= 17.

: of that height. If not then as close to it as we can get. The scramjet would be
: accelerated upwards to Mach 7 and it would be released at 90,000 feet.

IS there a manmade structure even 2 miles high?

: Since
: all the scramjet requires is a hypersonic airflow, it can use its air control
: surfaces to convert from vertical hypersonic flight to horozonal hypersonic
: flight and it can fly in the direction of the Earth's rotation and try to get
: as close to orbital velocity as it possible can before rockets take over.

If wishes were fishes we'd all have some to fry...

Eric

: Tom
Old April 2nd 04, 05:43 AM
Eric Chomko

TKalbfus ) wrote:
: So much for *cheap* access to space. I wonder how long it would take
: to make back the investment in a 90,000 foot tall vertical maglev to
: launch a scramjet.
:

: Depends on your rate of launch. I must correct myself: 90,000 ft is about 15
: miles high. I think scramjets can be mass produced. One possible application is

17 miles!!

: as an ABM system. Its a cheap way to launch a large number of interceptors to
: destroy incoming missiles. There is deterence value that would be well worth
: the construction costs.

How would you overcome wind and gravity?

Eric

: Tom
Old April 2nd 04, 05:48 AM
Eric Chomko

Paul F. Dietz ) wrote:
: TKalbfus wrote:

: Better yet, how about a 90,000 ft tall vertical maglev scramjet launch tower?

: And, everybody gets a pony!

: http://examinedlife.typepad.com/john...hes_were_.html

I heard it as "if wishes were fishes we'd all have some to fry".

Eric

: Paul
Old April 2nd 04, 01:11 PM
Pat Flannery

Eric Chomko wrote:

: Depends on your rate of launch. I must correct myself: 90,000 ft is about 15
: miles high. I think scramjets can be mass produced. One possible application is

17 miles!!

: as an ABM system. Its a cheap way to launch a large number of interceptors to
: destroy incoming missiles. There is deterence value that would be well worth
: the construction costs.

How would you overcome wind and gravity?

God, I'd forgotten how much fun this newsgroup was! It's simple...you
only launch things up it at dawn, when the bottles of dew hold it
suspended vertically as they rise into the air.

Cyrano

Old April 2nd 04, 02:05 PM
Ool

Default Rule Britannia! ( 90,000 ft tall...)

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message ...
TKalbfus ) wrote:

: So much for *cheap* access to space. I wonder how long it would take
: to make back the investment in a 90,000 foot tall vertical maglev to
: launch a scramjet.

: Depends on your rate of launch. I must correct myself: 90,000 ft is about 15
: miles high. I think scramjets can be mass produced. One possible application is

17 miles!!

All of us *metric* users around the world are laughing our asses off
right now.

--
__ “A good leader knows when it’s best to ignore the __
('__` screams for help and focus on the bigger picture.” '__`)

Old April 2nd 04, 02:59 PM
Pat Flannery

Ool wrote:

: Depends on your rate of launch. I must correct myself: 90,000 ft is about 15
: miles high. I think scramjets can be mass produced. One possible application is

17 miles!!

All of us *metric* users around the world are laughing our asses off
right now.

Well, all of us sons of Amun-Ra are presently considering the real
possibility of building a 60,000 cubit tall launch system on top of one
of our pyramids, as they are obviously the bases for _something_ space
related, just like the ones on Mars!
So let it be written; so let it be dumb! :-)

Im-Po-Tent

Old April 2nd 04, 04:32 PM
Sander Vesik

TKalbfus ) wrote:

: So much for *cheap* access to space. I wonder how long it would take
: to make back the investment in a 90,000 foot tall vertical maglev to
: launch a scramjet.

: Depends on your rate of launch. I must correct myself: 90,000 ft is about 15
: miles high. I think scramjets can be mass produced. One possible application is

17 miles!!

All of us *metric* users around the world are laughing our asses off
right now.

And a mile being 52x0 feet ( forget the value of x, but it was not 0),
its not even exactly 17 miles. doing serious measurements in inches,
feet and miles is in most cases just hillarious.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++