Hypersonics Overhype

Old April 1st 04, 04:26 PM
TKalbfus

Default Hypersonics Overhype

Ok, that's a second or so, then stopped. Run a trajectory starting at M=7
on the deck and tell me how long it takes to get things too hot.

Ok then how about an elevated maglev track?

Tom
Old April 1st 04, 04:52 PM
TKalbfus

Default 90,000 ft tall vertical maglev-scramjet launch tower

Ok then how about an elevated maglev track?

Tom

Better yet, how about a 90,000 ft tall vertical maglev scramjet launch tower?
That's about 8 miles high, it should be possible to build a compression tower
of that height. If not then as close to it as we can get. The scramjet would be
accelerated upwards to Mach 7 and it would be released at 90,000 feet. Since
all the scramjet requires is a hypersonic airflow, it can use its air control
surfaces to convert from vertical hypersonic flight to horozonal hypersonic
flight and it can fly in the direction of the Earth's rotation and try to get
as close to orbital velocity as it possible can before rockets take over.

Tom
Old April 1st 04, 06:06 PM
TKalbfus

Just how do you land such a beast? Keep in mind that unpowered glider
landings aren't exactly something that you want in a vehicle that is
intended to be operated routinely.

Jeff

Parachute landing and perhaps a splashdown.

Tom
Old April 1st 04, 06:11 PM
TKalbfus

So much for *cheap* access to space. I wonder how long it would take
to make back the investment in a 90,000 foot tall vertical maglev to
launch a scramjet.

Depends on your rate of launch. I must correct myself: 90,000 ft is about 15
miles high. I think scramjets can be mass produced. One possible application is
as an ABM system. Its a cheap way to launch a large number of interceptors to
destroy incoming missiles. There is deterence value that would be well worth
the construction costs.

Tom
Old April 1st 04, 06:12 PM
TKalbfus

That would tend to limit your ability to launch the thing to locations
with sufficiently tall mountain/maglev installations.

Jeff

So?

Tom
Old April 2nd 04, 01:45 AM
Paul F. Dietz

TKalbfus wrote:

Better yet, how about a 90,000 ft tall vertical maglev scramjet launch tower?

And, everybody gets a pony!

http://examinedlife.typepad.com/john...hes_were_.html

Paul