O/T: Are Republicans so tough?

Old October 13th 03, 01:29 AM
Hop David

Default O/T: Are Republicans so tough?

Democrats
Roosevelt & Truman Won WWII

Republican
Eisenhower Dismantles missile research.

Democrat
Kennedy Revitalizes space program
putting us back on the road
to military superiority.

Republican
Nixon Gives South Vietnam to
communists. Hamstrings space
program.

So why do some say they're going to vote Republican
because "we're at war."?

Republican superiority at waging war is as fictitious
as Republican fiscal responsibility.

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old October 13th 03, 02:19 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Hop David wrote in
:

Democrats
Roosevelt & Truman Won WWII

Republican
Eisenhower Dismantles missile research.

Democrat
Kennedy Revitalizes space program
putting us back on the road
to military superiority.

Republican
Nixon Gives South Vietnam to
communists. Hamstrings space
program.

So why do some say they're going to vote Republican
because "we're at war."?

Because all your examples are pre-McGovern.

Say what you want, the "reforms" the Democratic Party enacted for the 1972
primary campaign fundamentally changed the nature of the party. Old-style
Democratic hawks like Truman, JFK, and LBJ could not have won the
Democratic nomination in the post-1972 party.

As for the space program, JFK still stands as the *only* Democrat to leave
office with the NASA budget significantly larger than it was when he took
office; likewise, Nixon was the *only* Republican to leave with a smaller
NASA budget.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old October 13th 03, 02:51 PM
Terrell Miller

Default Are Republicans so tough?

"Hop David" wrote in message
Democrats
Roosevelt & Truman Won WWII

Republican
Eisenhower Dismantles missile research.

Democrat
Kennedy Revitalizes space program
putting us back on the road
to military superiority.

Republican
Nixon Gives South Vietnam to
communists. Hamstrings space
program.

Democrat
LBJ Gets mired in Vietnam, refuses to win, slinks off in
disgrace

Republican
Nixon Linebacker 2

Democrat
Carter Desert One

Republican
Reagan Libya, Contras, aid to Mujahedeen

Democrat
Clinton Kosovo, Somalia, Bosnia

Republican
GHWB Panama, Desert Storm
GWB Afghanistan, Iraqi Freedom

---
Terrell Miller

"In the early days as often
as not the (rocket) exploded on or near the launch pad; that
seldom happens any longer."
-Columbia Accident Investigation Board report, vol.1 p.19

Old October 13th 03, 07:06 PM
Johnny1A

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message ...
"Hop David" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, this is what I follow read sci.space.policy for...

Shermanlee
Old October 13th 03, 08:05 PM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:29:16 -0700, in a place far, far away, Hop
David made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Democrats
Roosevelt & Truman Won WWII

Republican
Eisenhower Dismantles missile research.

Democrat
Kennedy Revitalizes space program
putting us back on the road
to military superiority.

Republican
Nixon Gives South Vietnam to
communists. Hamstrings space
program.

So why do some say they're going to vote Republican
because "we're at war."?

I'm just looking at the current crop of Democrats, versus the current
resident of the White House. I'm not now, and have never been a
Republican, but there's not a single Dem running (with the possible
exception of Joe Biden) who I'd trust with *this* war.

Old October 13th 03, 10:26 PM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:08:31 GMT, in a place far, far away, Brian
Thorn made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:05:40 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

I'm just looking at the current crop of Democrats, versus the current
resident of the White House. I'm not now, and have never been a
Republican, but there's not a single Dem running (with the possible
exception of Joe Biden) who I'd trust with *this* war.

Bush ran the war itself okay, but it is increasingly apparent

None of that is apparent to me. Of course the post-war planning
wasn't perfect, but to expect it to be so was unrealistic. What was
the "exit strategy" for Germany and Japan in the spring of 1945?

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org