NASA formally unveils lunar exploration architecture

Old September 22nd 05, 08:14 AM
George Evans

in article , Cardman at
wrote on 9/20/05 10:07 AM:

snip

The last I heard was that their SDHLV could put 14 tons directly on the Moon.
They could easily put much more mass into LEO, then to launch the required
fuel on a second launch.

The only issue here is in trying to cram things like a bulldozer into the
smaller payload fairing. Still, they could always send up the parts to have
this later assembled on the Moon.

Seems like a good idea to me for NASA to build a fuel station in LEO, on the
right orbit to later head on to the Moon. As then this fuel would be already
waiting before they launched their main missions, where they can top up their
fuel reserves as needed.

You can include some simple life support here to keep things flexible and
safe.

A cargo delivery CEV to operate between Earth and Lunar orbit is also an idea,
when to minimise costs and complexity, then you do not want to launch more
than big dumb cargo canisters.

The only issue is in servicing your CEV, where avoiding bringing this back to
Earth saves the heat shield mass. And to allow for the lifeboat option, then
you can just use two CEVs end to end.

Better yet remove the human aspect fully and just have an automated system do
this round trip, again, and again, and again. That way you can just have your
humans working on either end, with the more rare trip between the two.

This plan would mostly swap the SDHLV for a LEO Fuel Station. So the cost
would be slightly cheaper to build, and a lot cheaper to operate.

Are you sure NASA has ruled these ideas out? I read the following on p. 21
of the CAIB report:

"NASA centered its post-Apollo plans on developing increasingly larger
outposts in Earth orbit that would be launched atop Apollo's immense Saturn
V booster. The space agency hoped to construct a 12-person space station by
1975; subsequent stations would support 50,then 100 people. Other stations
would be placed in orbit around the moon and then be constructed on the
lunar surface. In parallel, NASA would develop the capability for the manned
exploration of Mars."

NASA had, by this time, apparently seen the wisdom of separating crew launch
from heavy cargo launch.

snip

George Evans

Old September 22nd 05, 09:48 AM
George Evans

in article Kg3Ye.8546$T55.1554@trndny06, Ray at wrote
on 9/20/05 7:08 PM:

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message

I am extremely excited about this plan! I have a question for you. What
else should NASA do? Personally, I rather get rid of NASA instead of
letting it orbit humans around the earth forever wasting our tax money. If
we are going to have manned spaceflight we need to be serious about it and
explore space, moon, mars and beyond, with people not just some dam robots.
Somebody mentioned something on these newsgroups once about NASA working
with energy. That's bull****. We have a dept or energy for that. NASA
exists to do flight in space mostly.

NASA could focus on the real problem, which is high launch costs. For the $7
billion a year this program is going to cost, they could fund dozens of
X-vehicle programs, each aimed at one aspect of lowering launch costs. The
results of these programs would be public knowledge, useable by both the
established launch companies, and the startups.

Certainly this would delay our return to the moon, but it would make the
return to the moon far more affordable and sustainable. Apollo wasn't
sustainable due to high costs. Shuttle wasn't sustainable in part due to
high costs. What makes anyone think that the Stick and the SDHLV will be
sustainable?

I really don't think its NASA's job to concentrate on lowering launch costs
really. That's private industries job. NASA's job is to goto the moon and
beyond

You took the words right out of my mouth, brother.

George Evans

Old September 22nd 05, 03:45 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:32:44 GMT, in a place far, far away, George
Evans made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

What *real* evidence do you have for this claim that commercial providers
could do the same for less? What commercial provider has produced a man rated
launcher?

What government provider has, recently? Do you even know what the phrase "man
rating" means?

No, I don't know precisely what man rating means, but I think I heard the
FAA was involved and it has to do with a stack of hardware and explosives
with one or more "men" sitting on top.

In other words, you (like most people who throw the phrase around as
though they know what they're talking about) know nothing about what
it means, or whether or not it's even necessary...

Assuming that China and Russia care roughly the same as the US does about
"men", the score is now 3 countries to 0 companies.

There has been no man-rated rocket developed since the sixties.
Shuttle is not man rated. Burt Rutan's vehicles, however, as will
Jeff Bezos' and John Carmack's, and Rocketplanes, will be designed to
carry passengers, as SpaceShipOne was.