Discovery launch debris

Old July 30th 05, 03:56 AM
editor

Default Discovery launch debris

We have some interesting debris pictures recently acquired and only on
our site. well for now anyhow

http://usspacenews.com/

Cheers!

Old July 30th 05, 04:54 PM
Brian Thorn

On 29 Jul 2005 19:56:53 -0700, "editor" wrote:

We have some interesting debris pictures recently acquired and only on
our site. well for now anyhow

http://usspacenews.com/

Very nice job! Still needs a bit of proofreading though...
i.e., its "execute package" not "executive package".

Brian
Old July 30th 05, 06:04 PM
Derek Lyons

Brian Thorn wrote:

On 29 Jul 2005 19:56:53 -0700, "editor" wrote:

We have some interesting debris pictures recently acquired and only on
our site. well for now anyhow

http://usspacenews.com/

Very nice job! Still needs a bit of proofreading though...
i.e., its "execute package" not "executive package".

Yah - and they need to learn the meaning of 'exclusive' too...

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 30th 05, 06:48 PM
Larry Haines

Is there anywhere a person could go on the web to view pictures of
astronaut remains taken shortly after crashes?

Old July 30th 05, 07:04 PM
Brian Thorn

On 30 Jul 2005 10:48:30 -0700, "Larry Haines"
wrote:

Is there anywhere a person could go on the web to view pictures of
astronaut remains taken shortly after crashes?

No, that is restricted out of sensitivity to the astronauts' next of
kin.

Brian
Old July 30th 05, 09:48 PM
Dave O'Malley

Is there anywhere a person could go on the web to view pictures of
astronaut remains taken shortly after crashes?

And why on earth would anyone care to view such a thing?

Old July 31st 05, 02:11 AM
Cardman

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:48:08 -0700, "Dave O'Malley"
wrote:

Is there anywhere a person could go on the web to view pictures of
astronaut remains taken shortly after crashes?

And why on earth would anyone care to view such a thing?

An inquisitive human nature mostly.

I guess that the most acceptable answer would be a scientific
understanding of the resulting effects to the human body caused by
such an event. Hell, you could even go on to say that such knowledge
could improve safety.

Most people desiring such photos would, I am sure, do so for more
morbid reasons. The simple fascination of death. And the other aspect
of human nature to imagine themselves in dangerous situations in order
to figure out how to maximise their own survival odds.

Considering the sensitive nature of these two shuttle accidents, then
photos simply won't be available. The public would not allow it,
unlike in many other post death situations. The Net does indeed
contain everything that the human mind could desire.

I have always thought that people should go and see an autopsy. There
after all you can obtain a great understanding of the physical human
body. Handled with the same cold efficiency, just like how a butcher
makes some pork chops. This is no careful surgery.

Still, people will come to understand death by their own method, where
seeing the human body as "meat" can also have a down side.

In the case of these astronauts there is a lot of respect, which is
why apart from lack of photos a few negative points could have been
swept under the rug as well.

The result in an event that is kind of sacred.

That I do not see as quite a helpful situation either. This simply
cannot happen every time NASA has a "bad day", when they simply stall
doing their assigned job. This is exactly why NASA has just grounded
their shuttles following the most successful and safe shuttle launch
to date. As opposed to correcting these minor problems during on-going
operations.

Hell this certainly cannot happen when NASA has people on the Moon and
Mars depending on them really launching astronauts on the exact same
hardware that killed the last crew. NASA cannot do that now simply
because they currently attach too much importance to death.

Yes, it certainly is an horrific situation. However, as I said before
the only solution to death is acceptance. Stand up, dust off, do the
quick corrections, and then plan for the next launch. All about doing
the job that they have been assigned to. Life goes on and all that.

Still, NASA is not much fuzzed over the fact that the ISS is many
years behind schedule. To them it is a job, where they will still have
that job if they launch shuttles or not. So they have no real pressure
to launch, beyond my moaning that is. :-]

Anyway, had such photos been available, then so would those seeking
them get whatever gratification from them that they seek. My end
statement has to be "Yes, one day even you will die. Now move on".

Cardman.
Old July 31st 05, 06:01 AM
Cardman

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:02:16 -0700, "Dave O'Malley"
wrote:

NASA cannot do that now simply
because they currently attach too much importance to death.

Organizations pretend that they place a high value on human life, but in
actuality, life is cheap to them.

Well NASA is sure as hell doing a great job in making it look like
they just wiped out the population of a small country.

I just have to say that NASA has no business in putting safety first,
when space travel is currently dangerous. Just open the window to let
in some fresh air to see what I mean.

Not that safety should not fit in there at a lower level, but the
truth seems to be that NASA cares a lot more about the safety of their
astronauts than they do about space based construction and
exploration.

Let me put it this way. As if NASA establishes a project to land their
people on Titan, then their astronauts would jump over each other in
the rush to sign up to take this trip. That is even if odds of death
are as high as 20%.

And well should they kill one of their crew, then so do they have the
option of being buried in the hydrocarbons on Titan. We came. We
explored. We established a crude base. Where most of us made it back
alive.

I see no reason why their astronauts would not love that plan. Putting
their boots on alien soil. Having their name put down in the history
books as being the first. And naturally advancing human civilization
so that we can one day claim this Galaxy as our property.

It is hard to say before this moon plan came about just what was
NASA's collective goal. They just seemed to have "pet projects" in
order to make it look like they were doing something useful. Naturally
they did indeed do many useful things, but if they are indeed sending
people into space then there only seems like the one objective.

And in that one area of exploration and construction, then they just
do not seem to have the right mentality to do a real job. That
mentality is the thought that they could indeed kill 14 astronauts,
but they get a nice space station for that cost.

Not that this space station is worth 14 lives. However, this ISS can
indeed be very useful to us in the future, where we are certainly
committed to building it, even if it costs another 7 lives.

And in the way of things I guess that these astronauts would be
willing to risk, and lose, their life so that their fellow astronauts
can one day walk on alien soil.

So is NASA doing this? Are they scheduling in as many ISS construction
flights as possible, so that once the ISS is complete they can then
move on to better things? Naturally no...

They have even yet to learn that if a job is worth doing it is worth
doing well. What pride is there in a half finished project?

Instead they take their most successful shuttle launch to date, nit
pick it for "foam flakes", then to ground their entire shuttle fleet
as if this greatest launch yet was a terrible failure.

And, shock horror, this is all being done in the name of "safety".

If this was actually a real safety matter than this would make some
sense, but they already well know why this foam came off. What is more
is that even if this launch was repeated 1000 times, then foam coming
off should not ever again pose a real safety concern.

If anything I would say that NASA is simply playing to the tune of the
media. People saw this foam chuck fly off. They media began to brand
it "killer foam", where NASA now wanting to look like they know all
about safety agreed.

You can consider this next shuttle launch as a test. Should it launch
in September as planned, then NASA really wants to go down this ISS
completion path. Should it get delayed beyond this, then obviously
NASA is putting safety first.

Still, had NASA actually wanted to get this ISS job done, then maybe
they should not have taken this two and a half year break in the first
place. As that sounds like either they love their astronauts, or they
love their shuttle hardware. The shuttle can be replaced I am sure.

Then again without this break and looking like a hard up governmental
agency, then maybe they would not have got this Moon base plan. Alas
politics tends to cloud the subject.

So all signs currently point to NASA's one true goal of astronaut
safety. That won't help them to conquer the solar system.

Look at all the insurance companies trying to **** beneficiaries out
of their rightful benefits after someone has spent the majority of
their life paying premiums.

Well there are many things that are worth more than life. Land,
society, culture, food/drink and even money. What annoys me is that
with all this low cost to life that I cannot even "buy" one. Gee, like
you would miss one person. ;-]

Still, it seems that NASA has not yet woken up in the cold harsh
reality on the 21st century. As following a shuttle disaster they do
not say "We launch on schedule. Tell these widows to talk to our
lawyers".

Anyway, my point is that when NASA gets their CEV then they had better
lower safety down that scale a bit. This solar system is there for the
taking, where this large construction, exploration, research
playground is certainly worth more than a few astronaut lives.

The problem here is that Challenger was reckless. Columbia was
wasteful. Any yet just maybe having a crew die actually building the
ISS carries some purpose.

It is not really a fair exchange, but there you go. Up next is a Moon
Base, where that is worth a lot more.

So if NASA is going to get anywhere in the future, then they do need
to change their policy concerning what to do if they kill their
employees. Something like "They died advancing human society into the
solar system. They are heros. We honour their memory by redoubling our
efforts towards our goals. We launch on schedule".

I have yet to see NASA have the leadership to do that.

Cardman.
Old July 31st 05, 06:02 AM
Dave O'Malley

NASA cannot do that now simply
because they currently attach too much importance to death.

Organizations pretend that they place a high value on human life, but in
actuality, life is cheap to them. Look at all the insurance companies

Old August 1st 05, 12:19 PM
John Thingstad

www.rotten.com might appeal to your goulish desires.