Telescope transportation

Old July 25th 04, 03:32 AM
Dan

Default Telescope transportation

I've just purchased a second hand Orion Optics 8" reflector
huge grin from a guy in Scotland. He's arranging to have it
send it down via Parcelforce (I'm in West Sussex), but I'm
concerned about its safety in transit. Has anyone here sent or
received equipment via mail/courier, and if so, do you have any
pointers as to the best way to package such instruments? I'm
particularly looking for somewhere that would sell robust,
adequately sized containers. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Old July 25th 04, 12:19 PM
Damian Burrin

Any ideas?

Under no circumstances use ParcelFarce they have no respect for anything, at
best it'll get knocked, the ammount of stuff i've seen them throw about you
wouldn't beleive.

Get the guy to use a carrier instead. www.parcel2go.com are a good on line
courier, they use DHL/Secuicor for the courier and at £8.99 + vat upwards in
price is cheaper/more reliabe and safer than ParcelForce.
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

email
email

email

Old July 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Dan

Damian Burrin wrote:

Get the guy to use a carrier instead. www.parcel2go.com are a
good on line courier, they use DHL/Secuicor for the courier
and at £8.99 + vat upwards in price is cheaper/more reliabe
and safer than ParcelForce.

Thanks for the reply Damian. I checked the parcel2go website, but
the TOC state that their service does not allow for the carriage
of any glass. I've emailed them to see what they can do.

Old July 25th 04, 05:45 PM
Chris.B

"Dan" wrote in message ...
I've just purchased a second hand Orion Optics 8" reflector
huge grin from a guy in Scotland.

I'd recommend the application of layers of free cardboard. Scrounged
from supermarkets in the form of used packaging. Each layer should be
carefully and thoroughly taped using 2" wide PVC tape. A tubular form
is naturally stiff in the radial direction. The extra packaging will
help to reinforce this desirable trait. (That means it is difficult to
squash even by a paid parcelpostperson) ;-)

I'd then fit the wrapped "mummy" in a "sarcophagus" in the form of a
large box again well taped with scrap sponge, screwed up newspaper and
odds a and sods of polystyrene. Sod the expense. You want the thing
arriving in one piece!

On second thought give Orion a ring or e-mail them and ask them if
it's safe to send it this way and what they'd recommend in regards to
the mirrors heading south. A euphemism for "gravity taking hold" if
ever there was one.;-)

Or post on the Orion Yahoo loyalty group asking for advice. The Orion
chappies monitor what's happening there anyway. You'll have to join
the Yahoo group anyway to ask about your new 'toy'. Might as well join
before it gets trashed. Then you can wallow in misery with all your
new friends. :-)

Only kidding. ;-)

Chris.B
Old July 25th 04, 06:11 PM
Mike Collins

Dan wrote:
I've just purchased a second hand Orion Optics 8" reflector
huge grin from a guy in Scotland. He's arranging to have it
send it down via Parcelforce (I'm in West Sussex), but I'm
concerned about its safety in transit. Has anyone here sent or
received equipment via mail/courier, and if so, do you have any
pointers as to the best way to package such instruments? I'm
particularly looking for somewhere that would sell robust,
adequately sized containers. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Why not drive there and pick it up yourself? The telescope will fit in any
small car.
--
Mike Collins
UK

Old July 25th 04, 07:13 PM
Dan

Chris.B wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
I've just purchased a second hand Orion Optics 8" reflector
huge grin from a guy in Scotland.

Or post on the Orion Yahoo loyalty group asking for advice.

That's an idea. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that there was
a forum specifically dedicated to Orion optics.

Cheers for the advice. I'll warn you when it's on the way; skys
are certain to overcast as soon as it reaches my front door..
unless you happen to know a remedy for the astronomer's curse
while you're there?

Dan

Old July 25th 04, 07:24 PM
Dan

Mike Collins wrote:

Why not drive there and pick it up yourself? The telescope
will fit in any small car.

I am tempted. The trouble is finding the time off work. I'm right
down on the South coast, so it would take at least a day's drive
each way. It wouldn't be cheap either, and I'm on a tight budget
at the moment.

Old July 26th 04, 08:29 PM
pete lynch

In article , Damian Burrin wrote:
Any ideas?

Under no circumstances use ParcelFarce they have no respect for anything, at

I definitely agree with this. At present I am in "dispute" (a process where
I complain and they ignore me) regarding a signed-for delivery they claim
to have made. They reckon to have delivered it at a time when they weren't
on site, to someone who doesn't exist and now can't produce the receipt
he purportedly signed

If you want advice on packaging, have a look at the article titled
"a realistic guide to packing astro items" at
http://www.astromart.com/article.asp?article_id=63
(to summarise: aim to withstand a 10 foot drop)

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old July 27th 04, 08:44 PM
Dan

pete lynch wrote:

Under no circumstances use ParcelFarce they have no respect
for anything, at

I definitely agree with this.

Thanks Pete. Which carrier would you recommend? I emailed
Damian's suggestion (www.parcel2go.com), but they informed me
that they will not carry any item with glass components.

Dan

Old July 28th 04, 07:09 AM
pete lynch

well, I tend to avoid UPS
(see http://homepage.mac.com/simonster/PhotoAlbum3.html - not my site)
and I've have good experiences with DHL (they've taken over Securicor Omega),
Fedex and Initial Citilink.

Most compamies won't touch glassware, they visualise vases and
bottles. But if you get your item packed in it's original packing
and then some, hopefully you'll be OK

good luck
Pete